Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Link between dataset and dataflow

Hi,
I have a dataset with tables that come from SQL Server and others from a dataflow. In the lineage view, there is no link between dataflow and dataset in Power BI Service. Also, when I change the data in the dataflow in Power BI Service and refresh the dataset in PowerBI Service, that data is not updated in the dataset.
Do you have an idea?
Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean the issue solved now, but there is no link between dataset and dataflow?

And do you mean the no link situation is the dataflow has no link with original dataset or the new dataset?

Let me explain by the picture below.

link1.jpg

Assume you need to create a report using dataset A and dataflow A, then you publish it to service.

Now you have a dataset B.

So is the link from dataset A and dataflow A or dataset B and dataflow A?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DataFlow.PNG

The "CEDID-dataset" dataset (original dadaset) uses the "Source Excel" dataflow, and there is no link between them. But, when i modify data in the dataflow, and i refresh the dataset, data is updated in the dataset !

The "CEDID-dataflow" dataset (new dadaset) uses the "Source Excel" dataflow, and there is a link between them. Normal situation.

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you create the dataset in Power BI Desktop, then publish it to Service?

When you created a report, did you see the data from the dataflow? Or you just see the data from SQL Server?

Have you configured the gateway connection or a data source credential?

Also you can refer the Refreshing a dataflow.

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show more detail about your issue?

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I created the dataset in Power BI Desktop and published in Service.

I see the data from the dataflow in the reports.

I don't need to configure a gateway because I am using empty tables in the dataflow. I just configure data source credential in the dataset.

I have not configured an automatic refresh of the dataflow because I am using empty tables in the dataflow which are updated manually by the users.

So, everything works correctly, except the link between the dataflow and the dataset, and the refresh of the data from the dataflow in the dataset in Service.

Best regards,

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does the data refresh in Power BI Desktop when you changed the data in dataflow?

Maybe you can create a new pbix just contains this dataflow, then publish it to service.

Check if it is changed when you change the dataflow.

If it doesn’t, the reason maybe your credential when you create the dataflow, please check these.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

When I refresh the data in Desktop, the data from the dataflow is updated.

I created a dataset with only the dataflow and published it to Service. The link between the dataflow and the new dataset is present. Then, I modified the data from the dataflow and refreshed the new dataset, and the data from the dataflow updated in the dataset. So all is well in the new dataset.

So, I refreshed the first dataset, and the data from the dataflow updated in the dataset. However, there is still no link between the dataflow and the first dataset, in the lineage view. But it is less serious.

Do you know why sometimes the link is present and other times not?

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors