Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

porterm3
Frequent Visitor

Link Sharing with Row Level Security

I noticed that when RLS is implemented and a link is sent to someone via subscription, RLS does not work on the first view, and the user can see everything.  Upon refreshing or clicking the link again the users see what they are supposed to.

Similar behavior takes place if a user is given direct access and are provided access via link copied out of the browser of someone with higher access levels.

I am still testing other link sharing approaches, but was curious if there is a recommended link sharing method for reports with RLS.

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
porterm3
Frequent Visitor

Just checking back in with the solution on this.

It turns out that we believe the users who reported the issue were actually seeing what they were supposed to see and just didn't realize it.

The reason the issue persisted in our internal testing is because we were removing people from the workspace just before assigning RLS and testing.  We met with our Microsoft reps on this and it turns out that you need to wait at least 1 hour after removing someone from a workspace before assigning RLS.  This has to do with a permissions job that runs hourly.

Thanks everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
porterm3
Frequent Visitor

Just checking back in with the solution on this.

It turns out that we believe the users who reported the issue were actually seeing what they were supposed to see and just didn't realize it.

The reason the issue persisted in our internal testing is because we were removing people from the workspace just before assigning RLS and testing.  We met with our Microsoft reps on this and it turns out that you need to wait at least 1 hour after removing someone from a workspace before assigning RLS.  This has to do with a permissions job that runs hourly.

Thanks everyone for your help.

porterm3
Frequent Visitor

It still isn't clear to me what is going on.  I ran a test yesterday with 8 users, 6 of which the RLS worked on and 2 it did not until the page was refreshed.  These were users who have never looked at the report before and had never been granted access to the workspace.  The link was provided by giving the users Direct Access and then creating a link for "People with Specfic Access" and emailing that link.

Why would RLS fail under these circumstances in 2 of 8?  Isn't that a really big problem?

Hi @porterm3 

When sending out links what I have found is that the users have to click on the link to get the access has been granted.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Yeah that might help for sure.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

HI @porterm3 

This sometimes happens if the report is cached.

What I typically do is to share reports via an App. Because the user clicks on the app link it will then first see their RLS permissions and then show them the valid data.

Power BI Blog

So I tried the app approach and we still had a test this morning where a user saw everything and then upon refresh, RLS kicked in.  Any thoughts @GilbertQ ?

Hi @porterm3 

The only thing I can think of is if there is some caching happening on your network for this to happen.

When I do this with my internet connection I do not see this happening.

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ 

Does it mean anything that query caching is turned off in the dataset settings?

porterm3_1-1654562543365.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors