Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tswm00
Frequent Visitor

Limitiations in datamart/Power Query Online

Hi!

I have built a rather complex system using Power Query Desktop (Excel) which is to a large extent based on parameters stored in an excel workbook table.

I would like to migrate this system to Datamart and Power Query Online but experiance a lot of limitations when it comes to dynamic datasources (as provided från the parametertable) and errors with on prem execution (e.g. MS Access databases on a file system).

Are the limitiations expected to be permanent or is it temporary limitations in the preview of Datamart?

Rather crucial for med to undertstand to be able to decide what path to follow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You're indeed better off trying to do this in dataflows rather than datamarts. Google your error about dynamic data sources, you'll find plenty of discussions about how to rewrite your function so that it works in PQO (at which point that code should also work in the desktop if you copy/paste it back there).

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You're indeed better off trying to do this in dataflows rather than datamarts. Google your error about dynamic data sources, you'll find plenty of discussions about how to rewrite your function so that it works in PQO (at which point that code should also work in the desktop if you copy/paste it back there).

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
tswm00
Frequent Visitor

Using Dataflows instead I can manage to use parameterized references to datasources (using PQ "true" parameters) and on-prem execution seems to work (e.g. Access database on lokal filesystem).

I can live with having "datasourceparameters" defined as "true" PQ parameters but it would have been nice to be able to write portable code that works in both PQO and PQD like this:

try p_pathPrislista otherwise fnGetParameter("pathPrislista")
But then the service reports "Cant save dataflow. One or more tables references a dynamic datasource" so I guess I can forget the idea of portable coce?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors