Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

maracles
Resolver II
Resolver II

Limit users ability to view reports - dashboard access only

Within our organisation I have created various dashboards and given relevant users access to certain dashboards, not everyone has access to all of them. I thought this was all working well however I have just discovered that by clicking on any visual in the dashbaord the user gets access to EVERY page and visual in my report(!). 

No, I will first of admit that this has been caused by a lack of thorough due dilligence by me however I am quite suprised. 

Is there anyway that I can limit this. Once I have provided people with dashboards I only want them to view report pages containing those visuals, or even more drastically, not allow them to view the report at all.

On a side note, how would I create multiple reports without having to rebuild my entire data set for each report? Currently I have one data set which is linked to a single PBX file.  I make import all my data via this, create measures, make visuals etc and then publish to PowerBI in a report (and dataset) called "Company Data". 

Is there a way I can create multiple reports without having to build a wholoe new data set each time which would be a mess to maintain. 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@maracles By design when you share a dashboard regardless of whether you had one pinned visual on it or pinned live page, user you've shared with gets access to same dashboard, reports and data as yourself including all the reports that you have within that pbix.

In order to use single dataset for multiple reports, once your dataset is published from powerbi desktop to powerbi service, in powerbi.com under Datasets click open on your dataset -> create visuals as required -> file -> save as. This will create a new report using single dataset.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

@maracles are your shared dashboard visuals pinned to dashboard, or a whole report pinned live? 

in scenario 1, navigate to the dashboard --> click open menu "...." --> tile detail --> set a custom link (could be any website) in this case when any user press the visual in the dashboard, it will redirect them to the custom link

in scenario 2, if you have pinned a live page (personally I love this option, as it gives the same awesome interactivity function of a report) --> go to tile detail --> untick the first box "title and subtitle" now your users won't be able to drill down to the report, and they still can use the functionality of a report inside a dashboard.

I created 46 pages in a report, each for a sales user, to maintain data protection 

Option 2 does work but drawback is that I can not set the last refresh time. When I tick that box the display title is automatically turned on!

I would be very usefull is the automatic derill down to the report is default disables for ALL pages in a dashboard.

I now have about 10 pages and I can manage this via the details, but when you have more pages and create different versioned updates to a dashboard you have to check all pages again.

hi, I noticed that the scenario 2 does not work if user is accessing the Power BI dashboard from an IPAD. any ideas?

tks

using scenario 2, disable the heading on the dashboard.

. Getting automatic access to the report seems ridiculous and thankfully I discovered it just in time. otherwise what is purpose of creating user based dashboards when each user could access the whole report. 

however, seems users can still access the whole report, particulary using the application on a tablet.

Hello,

I'm trying to do something similar, but ran into an issue with testing out "scenario 2".  When the dashboard is shared with someone, they can't click through to the whole report; however, they can click "..." in the corner, then click "go to report", and in that way access all pages and the entire report.

Does anyone have a solution that gets around this, and completely prevents the end user from accessing the entire report?

Thanks!

I have the same problem. User can click "..." in the right corner, then click "go to report" and view all pages and reports.

I only want users to view the reports on Dashboard.

Is there any way to do?

Thanks!

Do we have any update on this? Is there any way users can only access the pages related to the pinned dashboard page and not the entire report? Say, a report has 5 pages from which I pinned 4 pages in a single dashboard. When users click on "..." and go to report, they get to access all 5 pages instead of just 4. 

Hey guys, I am still struggling with the same issue where user can navigate from dashboard to report level. I know this is really disappointing, however, GOOD NEWS is you can apply RLS, Row Level Security, on your dataset in the PBIX file.

Using RLS will limit user data view to his assigned security level only. So yes he will be able to navigate to all report pages, but he will only see data based on his permission level. Other measures in the report will come as Blank.

RLS is an option.

But how difficult could it be to just limit access to the underlying report?

For example members can only see the dashboard and admins can navigate to the undelying report.

Hey guys, I am still struggling with the same issue where user can navigate from dashboard to report level. I know this is really disappointing, however, GOOD NEWS is you can apply RLS, Row Level Security, on your dataset in the PBIX file.

Using RLS will limit user data view to his assigned security level only. So yes he will be able to navigate to all report pages, but he will only see data based on his permission level. Other measures in the report will come as Blank.

Hello Everybody,

I am struggeling with the exact same thing. In our organisation we have 20 reports that need to be shared within our companies o365 enviroment.  The reports need to be restricted to different users. I tried above scenario 2, but ran into same porblem that users can actually see the reports not intended for them by clicking on the three dots in the upper left corner of the tile. Row level security is not a solution for us because data from the Data Ware House build for this project goes from different fact tables to the visuals. It is the visuals that should be resticted. RLS would be complex to set up & resulting in empty visuals in pages with 5-6 filters doing nothing.

Is it true that i really need to make a single PBIX file for every different user in order to achieve restricted access to reports? This would mean 6 different files and changes to reports included in different files should be made 6 times?

Thanks!

@majdkaid22 Thanks for those suggestions. Both could come in useful but the second one especially. 

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@maracles By design when you share a dashboard regardless of whether you had one pinned visual on it or pinned live page, user you've shared with gets access to same dashboard, reports and data as yourself including all the reports that you have within that pbix.

In order to use single dataset for multiple reports, once your dataset is published from powerbi desktop to powerbi service, in powerbi.com under Datasets click open on your dataset -> create visuals as required -> file -> save as. This will create a new report using single dataset.

@ankitpatira Thanks for your response. I've had a look and that is what I will have to do, although it would nice to do this from within the PBX file itself.

Also, it feels like this is going to make maintenance and management of reports a little more complicated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors