Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

spoutrain
Regular Visitor

Limit # of rows downloaded to Power BI Desktop

Hi Community,

We are using Power BI Dataflows in our Datasets. When preparing the data model in Desktop, we don't always need all the data to be downloaded. So we are thinking about a way to use parameters to limit the number of rows downloaded.

How should we adjust the Power Query to do so ?

Thanks a lot for your helpful hints !

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @spoutrain ,

To my knowledge, it is not supported to limit the number of rows loaded into Power BI from Dataflow currently.

You can post your idea on Power BI Ideas.

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Power BI.
What's more, if a feedback is highly voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It all depends on your data source.
If it is a database system you can then change the query to return less rows.

If the data source is Excel or CSV files currently it might be a bit of a challenge to get it working to return less row. It does depend.

If you can provide more details?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Our scenario is Synapse -> Dataflow -> Dataset.

Based on other comments, I understand we cannot limit the number of rows downloaded from Dataflow to Dataset. I'm looking at another avenue then. 

We can limit the number of rows loaded in the Dataflow by adding a TOP(XXX) in the SQL Statement. We can also set parameters in the Dataflow, and use those parameters in the Power Query. Is there a way to pass a Dataset parameter to a Dataflow parameter ? Actually, I didn't found a way to set Dataflow parameters outside the Dataflow itself.

Thanks again for your help !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors