Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

igor_ramos

Limit Access Power BI

Greetings,

I'd like to know if there is any kind of access limitation (password protection) that I could use in a Power BI report.
For an example: I want person A to be able to view only pages 1 and 2 of a report, and person B to view only pages 3 and 4.
Could a password protection be used for this case? In which person A would have the same password for 1 and 2, and person B would have the same password for 3 and 4.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

@igor_ramos There is no way to do this from a model perspective, but if we're in the realm of "hacks" I can suggest taking a look here -> http://sqljason.com/2018/02/password-locking-publish-to-web-in-power-bi.html While this blog is specific to a Publish to Web locking path (still not secure) the theory may work here. You could set up bookmarks to create a page where an end user would have to enter in a code to access the pages.... Just a thought, but I would imagine a variation of the above might work for you.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer 

Thanks for your reply, I'll check the link you sent and see if it could be applied for my needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

An Alternate solution would be to:

Upload the base report into a workspace, that uses the "New" workspace.

Take a copy of your report's PBIX file and save as a different name.  Go into "Edit Queries"/"Transform Data" and delete all of the queries.  Close and Apply.  Now delete any tables that you might have create.

Select new data source and choose "Power BI Dataset", selecting the report you loaded in step 1 as the data model.

From here save out the file into 2 version, one for Person A and the other for Person B.  Remove the tabs you don't want them to see.

Lastly, have 2 workspaces (also of the New type) and upload you reports into those separate workspaces, one for each.  Publish each as an App only giving access to the appropriate person.

Each time you need to make an update, make that in your master temple and repeat the steps to split it out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors