Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ANKITBISANI
Advocate I
Advocate I

Licensing in Power BI in order to set up development envoirnment

Hello Experts , 

We are two developers developing the Dashboard in Power BI .

But when we want to publish our respective developments  , will it go to the same Power BI service (web) .

The confusion is that we use our respective credentials only to publish . We dont have any common credentails to publish into the 

web.

As all the sharing would happen from PowerBI service (web) , we want to see our developments in one service only.

Also , we plan to buy one admin access credentail also.

2 REPLIES 2
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your developers should use group workspaces for this. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-collaborate-with-your-power-bi-gro...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Let me just add one more point.

Creating a staging group workspace and make it read/write so you or any other member of the group workspace can continue to edit reports and create new dashboards after you hae published one or more Power BI Desktop projects. Then create an organizational content pack to push whatever content you want to other group workspace.

Next, create a new group workspace for production that is read-only. Then you take the organization content package you created in the staging group workspace and you activate it in the production read-only workspace. At this point you have released version 1 of your project into production. What's nice is that nobody can change anything in any report or dashbaord in the production workspace.

After that you can go back to the staging group worksapce and make whatever changes you want for the v2 release. After you have made all the v2 modifications in the staging group worksapce, you can then update your content pack to push your v2 changes into the production group workspace.

This is definitely the way to go if you want staging and a reliable scheme to update your project assets over time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors