Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerappin
Frequent Visitor

Licensing Question - PowerBI Premium

Hi,

I have a question regarding licensing. I have a power bi pro license within my organisation which gives the me the ability to create and edit content which I can share amongst my organisation. My organisation users who want to access the content DO NOT have a Power BI Pro license but as an organisation we have Power BI Premium.

I have created and shared these reports with them but they are not able to access any of my dashboards or reports. Reviewing this documentation (right down the bottom) under the section titled "Unlimited Content Sharing" it states that this should be possible - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Does anyone have any feedback on this or can provide assistance in advising me what is covered under this sharing of content.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No problem @powerappin. Your tenant admin can probably help you with that too.

In the Power BI Admin Portal, under Capacity settings you can set (per capacity) the workspaces that should reside in your Premium capacity. The Capacity Admin (and/or Tenant Admin) can assign those workspaces to the capacity.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @powerappin,

you are right that users do not need a pro license, but only in the following 2 cases:
- the user has the viewer role in the workspace
- the user is a member (in the permissions tab) of the published App of the workspace
Have a look over here for a little bit more info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-how-to-collaborate-distribute-da...

Hi,

Yes I think I worked it out. My workspace was built in the classic mode as I was comfortable with that meeting my requirements. However on further review the "Vierwer" role doesnt exist in that and is only available in the "New" workspace creation.

Going to try this now but in theory I think it is the cause of my issues.

Will review and then accept the solution however thanks for getting back to me!

Matt

That's indeed correct.
If you'd like you can also upgrade the current workspace. But only an Admin of the workspace can do that currently.

Same issue has occured.

Users have been allocated access to the appropriate workspace and have been given "Viewer" role to this. When provide the report or dashboard URL it prompts them to have a Power BI Pro license to access the content.

Is there anything from a tenant level that needs to be configured? I have tried sharing the report/dashboard with the user and also removing that and not sharing different content with them  (the assumption would be that as they can access via the View permission) and this still hasnt worked.

Data is coming from CDS however I assume that this isnt a problem? A bit confused as to why this isnt working for these users.

Thanks

Do the users see the workspace? They should be able to access the link to the workspace also directly. What content do they see inside?

Users can see the workspace and all content however as soon as they select the content (Dashboard or Report) it prompts them for a Pro license. They then select Cancel nothing loads within selected report/dashboard.

Then I have one other question:

Are you sure the workspace is in Premium Capacity? Does the diamond show next to the workspace?

image.png

No it doesnt show the diamond so it now makes sense as to why they cannot access this.

My tenant admin created the new workspace for me. What defines a premium workspace and how can I convert an existing one to utilise premium capacity? Or is it handled via a centralised workspace allocation?

Thanks a lot for your help and apologies for the simple question my experience has been with Power BI Pro only.

No problem @powerappin. Your tenant admin can probably help you with that too.

In the Power BI Admin Portal, under Capacity settings you can set (per capacity) the workspaces that should reside in your Premium capacity. The Capacity Admin (and/or Tenant Admin) can assign those workspaces to the capacity.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors