Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

as1
Helper I
Helper I

License not recognised

Hi, I was hoping someone could please help with two questions.

1. The organisation I work for has SQL Server Entreprise with Software assurance, which includes Power BI.  We have Pro-Licenses.  I can create Power BI reports and publish them to our Report Server for users to view.  However, I have signed up to the Online Power BI service using my company email, but it doesn't seem to recognise my Pro-License?  In My Account > Subscriptions, it says I have Power BI (free).  How do I get it to recognise my Pro License please?  I can't raise a ticket, as my company email address isn't being recognised as a pro-license user.

2. If I do get it working, will not pro-license users be able to view the reports I create online?

Thanks for your help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@as1 Hi,

You can check the difference between free licence and pro licence. 

Power BI Free vs Pro | What's The Difference | Burningsuit

Free licences can't share Reports or Dashboards with other users, neither can they view Reports or Dashboards shared from other Pro licence users.

You need at least pro licences to view and share reports, unless your report is on premium capacity, then free users can view it.

What I mentioned is the use on pbi service, not pbi report server.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If problem still persists, pls let me know.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @as1 

As far as I know, Pro license can be obtained in the following two ways:

vjaneygmsft_0-1632882166722.png

If you have SQL Server Enterprise + Software Assurance you get the Power BI Report Server for free. It doesn't mean you have a pro license. 

If your organization has purchased pro licenses, you can ask the administrator to distribute the license to your account in the o365 admin center

vjaneygmsft_1-1632883683124.png

If you want to use Power BI service, Free users can't view the report unless they are in premium capacity. And you need at least a pro license to publish report, then you can use publish to web feature to share reports.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Hi Janey, thanks for your reply.  What I am trying to find out is, how do I get Power BI online to recognise my Pro-License please?  And if I use Microsoft Power BI online, will users who view the reports I create need a pro license?  Thanks

Hi, @as1 

If your account has pro license, it will automatically appear after sign in pbi service. 

Like this:

vjaneygmsft_0-1632900943703.png

If it shows free user, it means you don't have pro licence.

In addition, free users can only view reports published by themselves in 'my workspace'. 

Even if you have a pro licence, they can't view the report you shared.

Best Regards,

We have Pro licenses, but not sure how we assign them to individual users?  If I publish a report using Power BI online using my pro-license, no one else in my organisation can view it?

@as1   So where is your pro license? If it is included in o365 E5, distribute it to users with an administrator account as i mentioned above.

At least pro licence is required to view the report, unless report in premium capacity.

Best Regards,

So only premium users can view the reports?  That would be unfortunate

Hi, @as1   Any updates?

Best Regards,

@as1 

...I didn't say so.  Pro users can view the report that shared to them.

vjaneygmsft_0-1632904632973.png

I think you may know little about licenses, you should check the document first to get a basic understanding:

Feature availability for users with free licenses - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Hi Janey, I have left it with our IT team to sort out.

Why would you need a license to view a report?  You don't for on-prem?

@as1 Hi,

You can check the difference between free licence and pro licence. 

Power BI Free vs Pro | What's The Difference | Burningsuit

Free licences can't share Reports or Dashboards with other users, neither can they view Reports or Dashboards shared from other Pro licence users.

You need at least pro licences to view and share reports, unless your report is on premium capacity, then free users can view it.

What I mentioned is the use on pbi service, not pbi report server.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors