Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

License advice given 10000+ users with on-premise data

I would like to have a license advice given the following situation.

We have our data on-premise and use the powerbi service, we run the gateway service. Employees with access need the powerbi pro license and we currently use it this way for a fraction of our employees.

We would also like to distribute powerbi to our students (10000+) and they have an office365 education license. Our data will remain on-premise . We have a school mobile app and would like to integrate powerbi into the mobile app. What would be the best licensing option given the fact we have an own app and would like to embed it, we have sharepoint online, we have sql server 2016 enterprise with reporting services including powerbi. A vital pre-condition is authorization, for instance the students should only be able to see their own individual mark sheet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Eric. In the mean time between my post and your response I did some further investigation.

I found out - given our on-premise situation with data which can not be moved to the cloud in its whole, that premium only offers the report server and embedded as benefit. But we already license SQL Server 2016 which also hosts powerbi on-premise (the reports) and given this blogpost we can also distribute it through our own app (https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/).

Because students only need the reports this is by far the most cost-effective option (SQL Server reporting services 2016).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to have a license advice given the following situation.

We have our data on-premise and use the powerbi service, we run the gateway service. Employees with access need the powerbi pro license and we currently use it this way for a fraction of our employees.

We would also like to distribute powerbi to our students (10000+) and they have an office365 education license. Our data will remain on-premise . We have a school mobile app and would like to integrate powerbi into the mobile app. What would be the best licensing option given the fact we have an own app and would like to embed it, we have sharepoint online, we have sql server 2016 enterprise with reporting services including powerbi. A vital pre-condition is authorization, for instance the students should only be able to see their own individual mark sheet.

@Anonymous

Power BI Premium might be the best option. You could see the license introduction in this video(7:35 to 10:25) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Eric. In the mean time between my post and your response I did some further investigation.

I found out - given our on-premise situation with data which can not be moved to the cloud in its whole, that premium only offers the report server and embedded as benefit. But we already license SQL Server 2016 which also hosts powerbi on-premise (the reports) and given this blogpost we can also distribute it through our own app (https://www.kasperonbi.com/embedding-power-bi-reports-with-power-bi-report-server/).

Because students only need the reports this is by far the most cost-effective option (SQL Server reporting services 2016).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors