Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

littlepatos
Helper II
Helper II

Licencing for staff to view reports & dashboards in a workspace & an app

Sorry to even ask but I have been researching tis for a ridiculous amount of time and keep coming across conflicting advice. I have a Power BI Premium User licence and have created a workspace & app that i want to share with staff in my organisation. No one else will create reports or dashboards and they will only need to be a Viewer of reports.  I have added them to the permissions but am having trouble sharing.  Some things I read say everyone who needs to view the report needs a PowerBI Pro licence where as other things i read state they can view using a free licence.  These reports contain commercial in confidence data so can't be shared public.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @littlepatos ,

it's very likely that the workspace is backed by Premium Per User licensing. This happens whenever you create a workspace.

Goto to the workspace settings, and check the Premium tab:
image.png
You can easily change it back to Pro, of course all the Premium Per User faeatures will no longer be available.

Hopefully, this will help to answer your question.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @littlepatos ,

the license that is needed to consume a report depends on the location of the report, meaning the type of workspace

there are four types of workspace and in addition to that how the consumers get access to the report, either directly to the report in the workspace or via an app that is build from the content of the workspace

• my workspace
    only the owner of the workspace can access content in this workspace
    no app can be created
    if a report from this workspace is shared with others via direct sharing, the recipients need to have a Pro License
  • Pro license backed workspaces
    all consumers need a Pro license, no matter if consumers access content from the workspace or via an app
    if a report artifact is shared directly, the recipients require a Pro license
  • Premium Per Capacity
    consumers accessing content from the workspace directly, these users are required to have a Pro license, except users have the Viewer role assigned, in this specific case a free license is sufficient
    consumers accessing content via an app, these users are good with a free license
  • Premium Per User
    all consumers are required to have a Premium Per User license, no matter if consumer are accessing content directly in the workspace of via an app

Hopefully, this helps.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens - thanks for the detailed response. As I have a Preium Per User licence does that mean my workspace isthe 4th option and all intended to view need a Premium per user licence?  Or how can I tell what workspace I have created?  I started with a Pro licence and my rganisation moved me to Premium per user so i could share the reports but it's not working as noone else is licenced.  We are about to upgrade them to Pro but sounds like that won't work?

Hey @littlepatos ,

it's very likely that the workspace is backed by Premium Per User licensing. This happens whenever you create a workspace.

Goto to the workspace settings, and check the Premium tab:
image.png
You can easily change it back to Pro, of course all the Premium Per User faeatures will no longer be available.

Hopefully, this will help to answer your question.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks @TomMartens much appreciated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors