Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tusmo
Frequent Visitor

Let multiple people refresh dataset

Hi,

I have published a report to an App workspace and I've added other people as members to the workspace. The report gets data from an Azure SQL database. Currently if other users try to click "Refresh now" in the dataset they get an pop-up saying that they do not have the credentials to do that or something to that effect. They can "Take over" the dataset but then if I want to refresh it I have to take it over again.  Is there a way to setup the data source such that anyone who is a member in the workspace is able to easily refresh the data?

10 REPLIES 10
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tusmo,

Based on my test, on the Users tab, for the data source, you can add, and remove, users, or security groups, that can use this data source. Then the user could refresh the dataset by himself  without any issue. For more details, please check the online document.

2.PNGCapture.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello Frank, The solution you told applies to non-Azure SQl Databases, For Azure SQL Database you donot require any Gateway. Can you help clarify how to allow multiple users to refresh Azure SQL Datasources.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What if your data sources are linked to SharePoint site?  Multiple users have access to the files including the PowerBI report. However, when we need to refresh it, it is still linked to the user that uploaded the file from sharepoint into Powerbi.  Only the user that uploads the data files can refresh the PowerBi report.  If the data files are saved and uploaded from a common location, we want anyone with access to those files to be able to refresh the report.  Is that possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I am linked to a SharePoint site and we need to give multiple users the ability to refresh the Power BI dashboard.
Did you find a solution to this?

Thanks,

Chris

If I'm understanding you correctly this requires me to set up a data gateway?

Hi @tusmo,

What is your data source? As you description, I think for your data source, the gateway is required.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

My data is in an Azure SQL database. I don't fully understand what a gateway even is.

Hi @tusmo,

Please refer to this online document to install and configure the gateway. If any issue, feel free to let me know please. By the way, you can download the gateway from here.

gatewa.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Hi @tusmo,

Is that helpful? If any other question, feel free to let me know please.

Regards,

Frank

Sorry for not answering. I don't feel like configuring a data gateway is worth it to solve this rather insignificant problem. I think it's easier to just "take over" the dataset whenever there is a need for another user to refresh it. Thanks for your help anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors