Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PGee

Lengthy Scheduled Refresh with delayed start

Hello,

I've been experiencing this scheduled refresh issue for the reports published using Power BI Pro.  I have some reports created in group workspace using personal gateway. I have scheduled the report for 9am, then :

1. First of all, the scheduled refresh starts only after about 3 -4 minutes (like 9:04 am)

2. Secondly, it takes about 16-18 minutes long to complete the refresh,

When I do the on-demand refresh, it happens instantly,

Any tips on why this is happening and how to fix it. TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PGee ,

Power BI Refresh is different based on connection mode and the performance is based on Capcacity.

You may learn more about refresh from this offical blog: Data refresh in Power BI.

Free and Pro user will refresh their reports in shared capacity, as we know shared capacity will has limitation in refresh rate, stroage mode and so on.

If we need better peformance in refresh like larger refresh rate or bigger stroage mode, we need to purchase Premium.

You can find the comparation between Pro and Premium in this link: Explore Power BI plans

You could try the following ways to improve :

1.Check Refresh summary and mertic usage app to allocate reasonable refresh time.
2. Optimize the model (remove useless fields), incremental refresh.
3. Look at the workload settings in the settings, turn down the larger resources, and turn up the resource allocation of the dataset.

4.Download the Capacity Metrics app and check it to find which lack of resources causes poor capacity performance. For reference: Monitor Premium capacities with the app

To learn more details ,you  also could read the following articles:

10 Best practice tips to improve your Tabular Model performance

HOW TO IMPROVE POWER BI PERFORMANCE - PART I
HOW TO IMPROVE POWER BI PERFORMANCE - PART II
HOW TO IMPROVE POWER BI PERFORMANCE - PART III

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PGee ,

Power BI Refresh is different based on connection mode and the performance is based on Capcacity.

You may learn more about refresh from this offical blog: Data refresh in Power BI.

Free and Pro user will refresh their reports in shared capacity, as we know shared capacity will has limitation in refresh rate, stroage mode and so on.

If we need better peformance in refresh like larger refresh rate or bigger stroage mode, we need to purchase Premium.

You can find the comparation between Pro and Premium in this link: Explore Power BI plans

You could try the following ways to improve :

1.Check Refresh summary and mertic usage app to allocate reasonable refresh time.
2. Optimize the model (remove useless fields), incremental refresh.
3. Look at the workload settings in the settings, turn down the larger resources, and turn up the resource allocation of the dataset.

4.Download the Capacity Metrics app and check it to find which lack of resources causes poor capacity performance. For reference: Monitor Premium capacities with the app

To learn more details ,you  also could read the following articles:

10 Best practice tips to improve your Tabular Model performance

HOW TO IMPROVE POWER BI PERFORMANCE - PART I
HOW TO IMPROVE POWER BI PERFORMANCE - PART II
HOW TO IMPROVE POWER BI PERFORMANCE - PART III

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PGee 

Because you are using a shared service it has to wait for resources to become available before it can refresh. That is why over time you will see the refresh happening close to the hour, but not always at the hour.

Also the refresh can take longer, because once again it has to use the shared compute (memory and CPU) resources. Because this is shared it will take a bit longer to refresh.

If you want better performance you would need to look at Power BI Premium which has dedicated memory and CPU.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors