Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Latency in Workspace Permission Changes using Test As Role

I've got a test PBI Report with Row Level Security enabled - in a workspace.  

Yesterday I 'accidently' added a colleague to the workspace as a "Member" - and seconds later - realizing my mistake - changed his permission to "Viewer".  

When I access the "Test As Role" feature in Power BI Service for this report dataset - and I test this particular user - it is showing me that this employee can still see "everything" - as if he was not impacted by Row Level Security (a virtue of once being a member in the workspace).  

I've found that there can sometimes be latency between the time that I switch the permissions in the Workspace Access  (from Member to Viewer) - to the time those changes are reflected in the "Test as Role".  However, recently - it is now taking over 24 hours and the changes from Member to Viewer are still not reflected in the "Test as Role" when I explicitly type this employees email.  (I know this because I have exposed the USERPRINCIPALNAME() formula - which would pick up his email he is exposed to RLS rules.  

Anyone else experiencing this or can duplicate it?

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @swise001 

You may refer to this similar post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/quot-Test-as-Role-quot-function-is-not-consistently-overrid...

Hope it could give you some help.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What happens when you remove the user from the workspace and add them back as Viewer?

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@lbendlin 

I've removed the user from the workspace entirely - and the "Test as Role" feature still responds as if this user has "Member" access to the workspace.  (At this point - you would expect the test to fail - since the user no longer has access to the workspace OR dataset).  

If I publish the dataset/report to a new workspace - it operates as expected with this user.   However, if I start to change the permissions of the user in the workspace - again there seems to be a lag on how long those permissions take to reflect in the "Test as Role" functionality.  

Changing the user from Viewer to Member - 'should' remove RLS when using 'test-as-role' for that user.  But it doesn't (at least not in a few minutes).  

It's more a general comment about what 'expectations' we should have when changing permissions in a workspace - and those changes being reflected in the "Test as Role" capability.  

I would upgrade that "comment"  to a "concern".  If you have a Pro license you probably will want to raise a ticket with Microsoft and have them clarify the actual policies.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors