Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rsbin
Super User
Super User

Kill an In Progress Refresh

Good Afternoon,

I have a dataset that is stuck in a Refresh cycle.  Don't believe a gateway is being used for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud.

There was an outage reported this morning in Azure's NorthCentral US region.  That appears to now be resolved.  But my Refresh is still stuck.  I have tried re-publishing over this, but to no avail.  I am able to publish to another workspace (my workspace) so there is no issue with the Report itself.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to "kill" this refresh so I can re-publish this report into its dedicated workspace?

Much thanks and regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rsbin 

No worries, you could try this below.

You would need to have system administrator access

Terminate (kill) a specific session on a server - Azure SQL Data Dictionary Queries (dataedo.com)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rsbin 

No worries, you could try this below.

You would need to have system administrator access

Terminate (kill) a specific session on a server - Azure SQL Data Dictionary Queries (dataedo.com)

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

HI @rsbin 

What I have done in the past is to re-upload the PBIX file and this often forces the current refresh to be stopped because the newer file will overwrite the existing dataset.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ,

Appreciate the response.  I have tried re-publishing repeatedly in the same workspace.  It just seems to hang.  Publishing to a different workspace does work, but I need to keep it in this workspace.

I am very tempted to delete the file and dataset from the current workspace - but this is a last resort.  If I can't republish to the same workspace, then I run into all sorts of additional problems (I am embedding this into a web page).

I will try it again...whilst writing this message...and perhaps more patience will pay off.

Again, thanks for taking the time...and if you have any other ideas....please pass them along.

Regards,

Hi @rsbin 

Could you not kill the connection on your cloud source?

For example if it is Azure SQL you can kill the SPID?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ,

Apologies for the delayed response. Been a hectic morning. 

Thanks for the link....have connected with one of our Systems Engineers who should have admin access.  Will discuss this with him tomorrow and hopefully it resolves this issue. 

Will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again and best regards,

@GilbertQ,

Good Morning.  The Refresh Session finally killed itself sometime in the overnight hours.  I was able to finally republish the Report, so hoping that will clear out any gremlins.  Will attempt a refresh later today to see if it all works out.

I have bookmarked your link in case I need it again.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi @rsbin 

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ,

We have recently lost our Database Administrator, so am not well versed in the techy stuff. 

I am working with an Azure SQL table.  If you can give me some further instructions on this "SPID" thing, I am pretty good at following directions.

Appreciate any further details.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors