Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

KPI Visual's text size suddenly too small

We are using the standard KPI visual on several high-profile reports in our business.

Today I have noticed, that the font has shrunk beyond readability on one of the reports. All I've done was making a few changes and re-publishing with latest Power BI Desktop (April 2018).

Please see the attached comparison of before and after. All looks ok in Desktop, but once published, the font becomes very tiny (don't mind different number, that is due to data not being up to date in the desktop variant:

Small font in current report in the serviceSmall font in current report in the serviceprevious size, and current size in PBI Desktopprevious size, and current size in PBI Desktop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah you guys are right. Happily specifying the fontSize for the container in your theme does seem to take hold in the service even though it has no effect in Desktop. So you can do edit the theme and somewhere inside the "visutalStyles" container add:

"kpi":{
		 "*":{
			 "indicator":[
				{
					"fontSize":48
				}
			]
		 }
	  },

Super annoying that this needs fixing on every report though.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test using Power BI version : 2.68.5432.761 64-bit (April 2019).  I cannot reproduce your issue here. Could you please try to delete the visual and recreate it again. Or you can delete the dataset and republish the report.

kpi.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I am running 2.68.5432.661 64-bit (April 2019), however using the scenario that you have (create dummy table, visual and publish), I couldn't reproduce it either. I would recommend checking any already published reports with KPI visuals (surely you have access to some). Based on replies in this thread, I'm not the only one experiencing this.

New findings:

- all the reports (even the ones I haven't recently republished) are affected by this, so it looks like a PBI service issue rather than desktop. 

- I have tried deleting and re-creating the visual and republishing > still same issue

- I have tried publishing to a new workspace > still the same issue

I think this actually needs a proper root cause analysis, if you're telling me I need to go and re-create all our published reports with KPI visuals on them to fix it, sorry, that's not acceptable.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I believe I have narrowed it down - it must have something to do with custom themes.

I have used the same custom theme for my testing report as for the one with the issue.

Below is the code for the .json file of one of our corporate themes (which has worked perfectly fine for over 2 years until now). If you import it in your PBIX, you should see the same behavior.

{
  "name": "Multi1",
  "dataColors": [
    "#E2A84E",
    "#A1A849",
    "#649F5E",
    "#329077",
    "#2E7C85",
    "#4E647F",
    "#634B67",
    "#653745",
    "#00AEB9",
    "#5ABAC4",
    "#007184",
    "#8ECBD2",
    "#00B5C7",
    "#38C0EE",
    "#009DDE"
  ],
  "background": "#FFFFFF",
  "foreground": "#3A6108",
  "tableAccent": "#329077",
 "visualStyles": {
    "*": {
        "*": [
          {
            "responsive": true,
            "wordWrap": true,
            "fontSize": 9,
            "urlIcon": true
          }
        ],
        "categoryAxis": [
          {
            "showAxisTitle": true
          }
        ],
        "valueAxis": [
          {
            "showAxisTitle": true
          }
        ],
        "categoryLabels": [
          {
            "show": true
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "card": {
        "labels": [
          {
            "fontSize": 20
          }
        ],
        "categoryLabels": [
          {
            "fontSize": 12,
            "Color": "#006873"
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "pieChart": {
        "legend": [
          {
            "show": true,
            "showTitle": true
          }
        ],
          {
            "labelStyle": "Data value, percent of total"
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "lineStackedColumnComboChart": {
          {
            "show": true
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  }
}
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah looks like @Anonymous is right. I published a test report without my company's custom theme and there were no problems, but when I republish it after applying the theme I'm seeing the issue again.

Before applying custom theme:

image.png

After applying custom theme:

image.png

Note that there is nothing in the theme to specifically format a kpi visual

I have no solution - but I believe something may have been released to the service which isn't an option for the desktop - namely this font size for the KPI visual. 

Seems like I can't upload a photo anymore - not my day I guess - so what I see is if you click the KPI - then the paint roller - then Indicator - you'll have a text size there. Which for me is set to 8 - about what it shows as on the screen. 

On the desktop version - this font size is not an option. 

So i'll bet that what's happening is that it's picking up the default size from our custom json file (which is 8 for me) now whereas before it was not doing that.

@v-frfei-msft  - can you investigate with those additional details? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good spotting, yes, you can often see in the service what's to come for Desktop. This is one of those things. I have changed the font size for some of the reports.

Still a bit gutted at this seemingly overwhelming attitude of Microsoft - "Look at all the new updates yay! Btw please go and fix all your reports though.."

🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah you guys are right. Happily specifying the fontSize for the container in your theme does seem to take hold in the service even though it has no effect in Desktop. So you can do edit the theme and somewhere inside the "visutalStyles" container add:

"kpi":{
		 "*":{
			 "indicator":[
				{
					"fontSize":48
				}
			]
		 }
	  },

Super annoying that this needs fixing on every report though.

jthornto
Regular Visitor

Thank you for reporting this. I have the same problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm glad it's not just me! I'm having this same problem all of a sudden and can't figure out what might be causing it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors