Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just started this week - DATAFLOW table does not show up in Power BI desktop

Team,

Starting this week ~11/14/19, when creating a new DATAFLOW table, we cannot see it when trying to use GET DATA>DATAFLOW in Power BI desktop. We can see the DATAFLOW folder, but nothing shows underneath the folder when double clicking or refreshing it. Previously created DATAFLOWS (<11/14/19) are visible and OK. 

I know there was a lot of functionality pushed for DATAFLOW this week, so I am wondering if this is related?

Any ideas?

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Team,

Confirmed that it is a date field issue, once I changed the date field (which showed UNCLASSIFIED) to TEXT in the DATAFLOW, then I was able to see the table and import it into Power BI desktop. I then changed the TEXT > DATE.

Jim

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guy I spoke to in support reckons by this Friday (29th) they will solve the speed issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue . 

Do we raise tickets or is it getting tagged out and workd on from the community 

leed
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same here.

Issue:

1/ import json files : everything works correct, can modify existing query, PB desktop is able to reach out to the dataflow.

2/ add a new table :

-dataflow shows all the entity including the new one

-PB desktop only catches the new one, all the old one are not displayed.

-Tried : (none of them work)

options > setting > uncheck combine data (although I dont combine any data)

disable then reenable

delete and recreate a new query

jvanegmond
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same issues here, must be related to the recent announcement about "Additional Number/Date/DateTime/Duration transformations UX" described here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/50-new-features-in-dataflows-this-month/ 

My workaround:

- Export the json

- Replace every occurrence of

"dataType": "date"

with

"dataType": "dateTime"

- Import the json, you'll get a new name "Oldname"+"(1)" and a new quid for your dataflow

- Try to refresh it and validate the results

- Reconnect to the dataflow by changing the guid in power bi desktop to the new guid using the advanced editor

let
    Source = PowerBI.Dataflows(null),
    Workspace = Source{[workspaceId="62828a48-e232-4c95-833e-xxxxxxxxxxxx"]}[Data],
    Dataflow = Workspace{[dataflowId="9804c7f0-e368-4cb2-a7cc-xxxxxxxxxxxx"]}[Data], //Change this guid
    Dataset = Dataflow{[entity="Entityname"]}[Data],
etc

uberdube
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I couldn't agree more the absolute relief I felt stumbling across this thread by chance.. I've almost spent an entire day and night  going insane over it deleting & re-creating entities, importing jsons, even creating entirely new workspaces... this is amidst also randomly finding out last week that there was apparently also a bug with the Advanced Compute engine preview that was potentially effecting dataflow refreshes.. (mine started randomly failing (not to mention the endless refresh issues I've had with Dataflows so far already) but I beleive that's now been resolved)...  all these sanity-questioning bugs (lol) are frustrating when attempting to implement a new & unfamiliar technology.. and really spoiling my experience with Dataflows so far.. it's not been a good week 😞

Anyhow, thanks to this thread I've successfully had my Entities re-appearing in the Dataflows folders in the Power BI Service by following the workaround suggested earlier, changing the data type to DateTime (or Text also works). I really hope this gets fixed asap (and that others suffering the same pain stumble across this thread quickly too!!)

2019-11-19_0327_001.png2019-11-19_0328_001.png

Thanks to those of you who have pointed out the exact cause of the issue, and for a workaround. I've just had a couple of days pulling my hair out too, and then raised a support ticket with MS about it. They have been very responsive and helpful and after much trace capturing etc they have pointed me to this thread, and also informed me:

It is already escalated to the Product Group Team and they said that they are working on it and shared the ETA for the issue.

"We're aware of the issues and planning a QFE path. Current plan is to have it deployed to ROW by end of week."

mhalkjaer
Regular Visitor

Just wanted to confirm that we are having the same issue, date field showing as unclassified and making tables non-visible in PowerBI Desktop.

For us the temporary fix has been to change all date fields to date/time, which made it accessible from Desktop.
Then we converted them back to date type in PowerBI Desktop.

Summary of what I experienced:

• Failed Dataflows, both manual and scheduled
  • Even in Dataflows that have been running without intervention, they prompt for credentials
  • Dataflow Entities with DATE columns have been somehow changed to UNCLASSIFIED and are likely the cause of the error.  Entities that do not include DATE columns work as expected.
  • When attempting to manually refresh a Dataset that includes Dataflows in question, it fails.  In the Power Query editing, the error code is "Key does not match any rows", meaning it can't find the Dataflow

Workaround:

• Edit Dataflow entities that have column type UNCLASSIFIED to TEXT.  I titled the Custom Step "Text Workaround Step", so I can delete it after MSFT fixes.
    • I initially started changing from UNCLASSIFIED TO DATETIME (as mentioned above), but there were a few instances where after clicking "Save and Close", it reverted back to UNCLASSIFIED, so I just switched them all to TEXT
  • Refresh data in Power BI Desktop to update your Dataset

I have an open ticket on what it now apears is this issue and I am also seeing refresh issue accessing sharepoint so don't if this is another issue of this change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird, I have a JSON export of my dataflow from couple of days back, it has dates in it. When I import it and refresh, it works perfectly fine. It is when I make any change to any table (no date field changes), it starts to collapse on tables with date fields. I hope Microsoft is working on a fix.
ereza
Advocate I
Advocate I

Have created a support ticket -lets see what their answer is. Will post back if they have a resolution to the problem... 

Doodle
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same exact issue, i also made a post about this with screen captures if that helps. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Entities-do-not-appear-in-Dataflow-when-creating-Linked-Ent...

exact same issue, but all missing ability to get to Entities (linked or normal) contain a Date field.  The date fields are presenting as Unclassified.  I cannot access any entity that contains a date, they do not appear either in a new dataflow (linked) or directly in the desktop.  I wrote a whole other post on Doodle's original message but for some reason they think it is spam and kept deleting it.

I previously had an issue last week when dates where being stored as DateTime (even after picking Date as the type).

and just to verify it is dates, I changed the Date fields to a type of "Text" and boom, i can get the data into Power BI Desktop.

to finally add some more to this, I can now use my Entity containing the "text" version of a Date as a Linked Entity.  I can also create New entities and link them.  Anything that contains a "Date" field will not appear as a choosable entity.  

Anyone else want to try this out to see if it works?  It is obviously not a very good workaround, but I can get the data into the Desktop and change the "Text" version to a "Date" type.  I was already doing that due to the DateTime issue i was having.

@jcullum 

Can confirm the same issues.

Entities in dataflows created this week that have Date fields show as "Unclassified" and the entities does not appear in the dataflow.

dateno.PNG

Entities in dataflows created last week that have Date fields show as "DateTime" even though the field format is only Date. These entities do currently appear in the dataflow.

dateyes.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Team,

Confirmed that it is a date field issue, once I changed the date field (which showed UNCLASSIFIED) to TEXT in the DATAFLOW, then I was able to see the table and import it into Power BI desktop. I then changed the TEXT > DATE.

Jim

Thanks for confirming the hypothesis.  Now we just need microsoft to fix dates properly in the dataflows 

Thank god for this thread.  We were pulling our hair out and troubleshot from sql to dataflows to M coding to the measures.  I thought I was going crazy.

Message from MS Support:
&nbsp;
Hello Ereza,

Greetings from Microsoft!

Thanks for all your time over the call.

As discussed over the call, the entities are missing in the dataflow.

We have many clients facing the same issue, hence our product team is already working on it.

As of now we got an update from our product team

We will discuss the issue with the product team and I will keep you posted.
Best Regards,
Manisha Yelavarthy
Engineer - Microsoft Business Intelligence
Time Zone:&nbsp; IST
Hours: 01:00 PM – 10:30 PM
Email: V-MAYELA@microsoft.com
Backup : MT-BAP-OM-TA@microsoft.com

@ereza  Thank you for sharing the ticket details!  Has MSFT updated you on the situation?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors