Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robert_m
Regular Visitor

Jira Content Pack Reads (timespent) as String value, Not Numerical

I am new at POWER BI and am not an advanced programmer. I used the Jira Content Pack and successfully connected to my Jira Cloud instance and was able to see and build a whole bunch of cool reports and dashboards with success.

However, I ran into one issue with (timespent), which is a standard field in the Jira dataset and contains a number representing how much time has been logged on an issue. It does not seem to calculate correctly in any of the Power BI visuals I create. Cumulative visuals that should add the values from the timespent field, automatically assume that I want to "Count" and does not treat the data as numerical.

My goal is to create a pie chart that shows total time spent by the type of Jira issue.

Having looked in the forum and found something about data types, I tried to use Power BI Desktop. I downloaded the application and used the Power BI Desktop connector to connect to the Jira dataset I had in Power BI. Then I tried to create a new table but could not. I also can't create a new Query. I can't edit any of the existing items in my Jira dataset either, so I can't change the data type of (timespent). The last thing I tried was to create a new Measure using DAX in PowerBI Destop to SUM the data together, but I couldn't use SUM on (timespent) because the error said:

Couldn't load the data for this visual

The report measure 'GetIssues'[Measure] has a syntx or semantic error... The function of SUM cannot work with values of type String.

The strange thing is that when I look at all of the data in (timespent), it is all numbers. I have tried the same with other seeming numerical data type fields in the Jira Content Pack like (progress.total) and others. They all yield the same error.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know why in the Jira Content Pack the standard field (timespent) and similar time collection data fields come in as a string and not numerical data? 

2. Does anyone know how I can change the data type easily so that I can create a dashboard visual that calculates the respective values rather than "counting" them?

3. When/where does this data type get set? Is it the Connector, the Power BI software, or the Jira data that is responsible for that?

4 REPLIES 4
robert_m
Regular Visitor

Here is a thread at the Atlassian Jira community that discusses the same issue, and recommends using another product, GROW, instead of dealing with the Jira Content Pack problem in Power BI that seems to have been a problem since at least December of last year.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Core-questions/Power-BI-only-counts-JIRA-Time-Spent-instead-...

Here is the link to Grow direct: http://help.grow.com/connecting-your-data/jira/jira-how-to-connect

Would love to use Power BI if it can get addressed somehow...

KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

I've seen similar issue, it seems all by a mistake.

Thks KumarDarmesh--

You've seen similar, but not this specific issue? A mistake by whom? Developers of the Content Pack at Microsoft?

I'd really like to use this content pack but it is less useful if I can't get a good dashboard presentation of timespent presented... hoping someone has a method for me to get it done, either perhaps by approaching whoever manages the Content Pack updates or by approaching folks at Jira, or pehaps if someone can provide instruction on a workaround...  for all I know I might be missing something or overlooking a resource that I can use to fix this... again, I am not an advanced programmer or Power BI user...

Thks for your input...!

Je ne prends pas la peine
L'impact Tanjmn résoudre le problème que j'avais Bstayy
Merci.کفسابی
کف سابی
نماشویی
شستشوی نما
پیچ رولپلاک نما
Ce Mshka et mauvais mots = pas très élevé dans les pays asiatiques, par exemple,
Avec l'aide de vos bons messages et je amis résolu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors