Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrejsn
Frequent Visitor

JIRA numerical fields considered as a TEXT category

Hi all,

I have integrated dataset from JIRA to Power BI Cloud. All data connected well, but only 1 field is considered as NUMERICAL. The rest is TEXT. However, most of the fields are numbers actually. What should I do to have the fields as NUMERICAL in Power BI Cloud? Yes, I know that it can be easily changed in Modeling in Power BI Desktop.

But it would be much more effective to have correct fields categories uploaded directly from JIRA to Power BI Cloud (not Desktop).

Can somebody please help with the issue?

JIRA fields.png

13 REPLIES 13
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@andrejsn

Can you please send us a list of the fields that are supposed to be numbers and are not?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft and @v-yuezhe-msft

Thank you for your assistance!

Here is a list of fields that are supposed to be either number OR date (but now they are text):

Created Day - date

Resolution Day - date

Original estimate - number

Timespent - number

Story points (it is out custom_field) - number

Generally, I already have solved this issue by changing the fields category in Desktop version. After that I update JIRA dataset directly in Cloud version and it is updated with correct fields category.

BUT, another issue that I face now is that I cannot connect dataset from JIRA TEMPO timesheet.  The initial standard dataset from JIRA gives list of all tickets (issues) from JIRA,  but we also need a list of all logs from TEMPO plugin.  How can TEMPO dataset be connected to Power BI?

I would really appreciate your help!

Where are you seeing the original estimate field?  Been trying to find this (along with Estimated time remaining), but can't find them in the dataset?

Hey,

These highlited fields I had initially:

Jira fields.png

Don't you have them? What JIRA fields do you have then?

Ah, I was skimming over those, as the values are coming through in seconds (which I didn't realise) rather than hours (that I was expecting).  

On a seperate but related note, do you know if there's a way to transform these values to hours in PBI browser (PBI Service?)?  Can do so via transformations in Power BI Desktop, but can't figure out how to do it in the browser version.  Thanks

I transformmed it in Desktop version (creating new column with formula: 'estimate in seconds collumn / 3600')

It is not possible to do in Cloud version.

So what you can do is: transform into hours in Desctop version and then Publish the file to your Cloud version. Refresh data will automatically be transformed into hours directly in Cloud version (no Desktop version will be required all the time)

@andrejsn

I've got response from the Product Team.

Custom fields types can't be modified since we don't know what fields are available for every user. 

Here is the best we can do for you. You can use the attached PBIT file to create your JIRA reports. It's identical to the content pack except you get to customize it in any way you want (including changing types, getting rid of the fields you don't care for, doing calculations on top of the data, etc) then you can upload that to PowerBI.com and configure it to automatically refresh (exactly like the content pack).

Best Regards,
Herbert

andrejsn
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I have integrated dataset from JIRA to Power BI Cloud. All data connected well, but only 1 field is considered as NUMERICAL. The rest is TEXT. However, most of the fields are numbers actually. What should I do to have the fields as NUMERICAL in Power BI Cloud? Yes, I know that it can be easily changed in Modeling in Power BI Desktop.

But it would be much more effective to have correct fields categories uploaded directly from JIRA to Power BI Cloud (not Desktop).

Can somebody please help with the issue?

JIRA fields.png

Not much you can do except contact the owner of the content pack and ask them to take a look. You don't have any data modeling capabilities in the Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Exactly, nothing can be done in Power BI.  But what can I change in JIRA JSON object settings to have numerical fields to be considered as NUMERICAL in Power BI Cloud?

Hi @andrejsn,

I am not familiar about JIRA setting, but it is convenient to use this Power BI Desktop template file that resembles the JIRA content pack to connect to your source, then change type of fields from text type to numerical type.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft and @Greg_Deckler

We have tested JSON output of the field which is not recognized as NUMERICAL, and we have found that JSON returns integer for that field: http://prnt.sc/eum3qv

We also ensured that all configuration in JIRA set as NUMERICAL for the field. Could it be that the issue comes from Power BI Cloud side?

Hi @andrejsn,

Yes. We will report this issue internally and I will post back once I get any updates.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors