Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Issues with Dataflows for Power BI Pro (Computed Entity) on Merge

I need to create a decent data model in Power BI dataflow using the source data.

To do this I need to merge Tables to put the IDS into the central fact table. However it appears that you cant merge tables. When you do it creates a computed entity and you have to have power BI Premium

At the moment I have no other option than to do it without updating the data source and I currently have no idea how to get around the issue within the dataflow.

All I can think is to move the dataflow back into the pbix file which defeats the object of me telling everyone how great using a dataflow is.

Im really struggling at the moment to come up with a way round this, staying in the dataflow. I need to use merge to create a decent dataset with ID Links

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DebbieE ,

May be you want to try the solution given here..
Merge/ Append/ Reference Operations on Power BI Dataflow on Non-Premium workspaces – DataSharkX (wor...
Please mark this as solution if this helps you/ let me know. 

Regards

RakeshSinghr
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

Dataflows are great for having all your data in one location in azure that is refreshable.

Having created entities in dataflow- Create the model to built star schema within PBI desktop by connecting to Dataflow:

get data - > Power BI Dataflows.

Once you have loaded your entities in your PBI desktop file, you can model it as if it were sql server tables.

You can then publish to PBI service to create a dataset built on PBI dataflow.

Regards

Rakesh

thats just not good enough to be honest.

I need to do lots of things before moving to the model which require merging tables and pulling data items from one table into another.

there is some more complex logic that requires duplicating a table and merging data items. Without the ability to merge Power BI Pro is just not fit for purpose. Ive spent a lot of time telling people that dataflows are the way forward but losing this crucial function is basically stopping me from doing the work,

It really looks like I will have to go back to creating the flow in the desktop. I need either a workaround or I think I need to raise a ticket or something. This is extremely disappointing

HI @DebbieE,

Yes, these navigation panel/menus not available when you work on power bi service dataflow m query editor. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you can do query steps on power bi desktop side and copy finished m query code to dataflow editor.

Notice: they do not mean all types of m query function work on power bi service side. New helper functions only available on power bi desktop side and some functions will be blocked due to security reasons.

Helper Functions 

Power BI Security#data-storage-security 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

"Yes, these navigation panel/menus not available when you work on power bi service dataflow m query editor. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you can do query steps on power bi desktop side and copy finished m query code to dataflow editor."

They are available, they just end up giving you this error

Cantrefresh.JPG

Surely if you do this on the desktop side, I have to do it in power Query editor which then creates another data flow on top of the original dataflow

If I copy the code back in the same errors will occur?

Hi @DebbieE,

In fact, this not the error, it only notices these feature you working has been limited on your license. For this scenario, I don't think it is impossible to ignore notice messages and using these license limited features.

You can refer to the official document to know what type of operations with required the computed entity features.

Using computed entities on Power BI Premium 

I'd like to suggest you do these operations in pbix file to publish to the group workspace to share instead of using dataflow.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

We have had to come to the decision to recommend not using dataflows in Power BI Pro because of the increased complexity due to this and other issues

Data wrangling - use dataflow M script

Data Model - use Power bi desktop

Im very much still in the data wrangling side of things and to do this I need Append and Merge. Otherwise I cant do it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors