Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dcullen
Frequent Visitor

Issues signing into gateway

I am unable to sign into the PBI Gateway, it is network related and I receive this error:

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2020-04-24T13:30:26.4073175Z DM.EnterpriseGateway 69610cf1-453c-4ca8-a217-4f2ecf3abc24 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 MFHC 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 1e38c846-81a4-4af1-a4e8-9faf458578ec 5333ceee-6e49-4542-81a6-13a630445f25 37F71A6F [DM.GatewayCore] Failed to send http web request. Failed with System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 2.21.71.152:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.HealthCheck.NetworkCheck.WebRequestCheck()

The firewall is blocking it going out to 2.21.71.152, however which domain name on the whitelist does this refer to? The reason I don't simply add it is because there may be hundreds more and I don't want to go through one by one finding them.

I was under the assumption it should be trying to connect via domain name and not IP.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @dcullen 

To test if the gateway has access to all the required ports, please run the network ports test. The test results list all the servers, ports, and IP addresses that your gateway requires. If the test results display "Closed" for any ports as shown in the error message, ensure that your network environment didn't block those connections. You might need to contact your network admin to open the required ports.

A firewall might be blocking the connections that the Azure Service Bus makes to the Azure data centers. If that's the case, unblock the IP addresses for your region for those data centers. You can get a list of Azure IP addresses from this website. To find the current data center region you're in, see Set the data center region.

For further information, please refer the official document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @dcullen 

To test if the gateway has access to all the required ports, please run the network ports test. The test results list all the servers, ports, and IP addresses that your gateway requires. If the test results display "Closed" for any ports as shown in the error message, ensure that your network environment didn't block those connections. You might need to contact your network admin to open the required ports.

A firewall might be blocking the connections that the Azure Service Bus makes to the Azure data centers. If that's the case, unblock the IP addresses for your region for those data centers. You can get a list of Azure IP addresses from this website. To find the current data center region you're in, see Set the data center region.

For further information, please refer the official document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan,

So I can't do the networking ports test as I am unable to sign in and that seems to be required to run the test. I can confirm that the IP in the log file 2.21.71.152, is not in the .json list of Azure IP addresses. My question is what is this IP and where is the document which says I should allow it through the firewall?

After some investigation it seems to be related to a company called Akamai. This article seems to suggest it could be Office 365 CDN. Do I therefore need to allow all of these CDN IPs in order for me to login to the gateway? If so do you have a list.

Thanks

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, you generally need to open up the entire range of Power BI Service IP's

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors