Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zharriott

Issues configuring dynamic RLS with Power BI Service - Data not filtering

Hello,

I'm trying to configure RLS in a report that I built using Power BI Desktop and uploaded to Power BI Service using a .pbix file stored in our SharePoint Online tenancy.

The issue is that when I preview the role that I have established in the data displays correctly (in both Desktop and Service) but when I view the embedded report in the browser using the embed link I have a view of all the data.  I am an administrator of the workspace where the report is stored, but I verified that the issue occurs with non-admin/contributing members as well.

My process thus far:

• Created main data table which includes email account field for each user.  This is a SharePoint list and I'm using the "Created By" username field for those familiar.
  • Created the "User" role and added rules to the role to filter based on username using USERPRINCIPALNAME()
  • Placed a shared account representing all users within our organization
  • Verified the data filters correctly in both Power BI Desktop and Service "Test this role" view

Please also note, when I open the report in Power BI Service (not using "test this role"), the report filters for a quick moment and then displays all data.  It's almost as if the role is applied and then unapplied.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the report will not filter in the embedded report?

Let me know if any additional info is needed!

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @zharriott 

If the users have edit permissions for this report, RLS won't work.

And if you have done the setting well.

http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-manager-level-access-in-power-bi

http://radacad.com/row-level-security-configuration-in-power-bi-desktop

If not your case, could you please share a simple sample pbix file and your expected output for us to have a test?

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors