Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

koenverbeeck
Advocate II
Advocate II

Issue with multiple SSAS cubes (the visual has unrecognized fields)

We have a SSAS MD database with multiple cubes.

An enterprise gateway is installed and configured. The account is a SSAS server admin.

We created a test report in Power BI Desktop on one of the cubes and published it to the Power BI service. Everything works as expected. Then I created another report in Power BI Desktop, on one of the other cubes. Published it succesfully to the service.

However, this time not everything works. Measures or dimensions unique to the second cube are not displayed. If I add them to a visual, I get a big cross with the message "The visual has unrecognized fields". But, if I use a conformed dimension which is also in the first cube, it does work. The field list displays all of the metadata, but Power BI can't display the  data unique to that cube.

When I monitor with profiler, nothing arrives at the cube. If I use a shared dimension, the query does arrive and is processed correctly. The query is addressed to the correct cube.

It seems like Power BI is messing up to the models (since shared stuff works), but when I use something that works, the query is sent to the correct cube.

Any ideas?

Blog: sqlkover.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The fix for this issue has been deployed to production (should have arrived ~mid-June).

If you are still having problems with this issue please let us know, so that we can find out if the issue has regressed again since then or if the fix did not cover your particular scenario.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
devastate
Regular Visitor

Since a few days this problem has re-appeared for one of our customers. It behaves exactly as described by Koen Verbeeck, including the "switching" working reports between days.

Can this issue be reopened?

Since wednesday we are experiencing the same problem.

sujeetsingh
Regular Visitor

Check wheather the services are running

The original question was solved over a year ago.

The problem was clearly described as a caching bug, so the services were indeed running.

koenverbeeck
Advocate II
Advocate II

What's the status on this issue?

The fix for this issue has been deployed to production (should have arrived ~mid-June).

If you are still having problems with this issue please let us know, so that we can find out if the issue has regressed again since then or if the fix did not cover your particular scenario.

This is happening to me, I'm not hittting cubes tho. 

Hi WizardWalksby,

the original cache bug should be resolved.
If you're not hitting cubes, than what are you? Tabular models?

If you change the metadata of a Tabular model, you can experience similar issues.

I've heard of multiple "possible" solutions you can try (sometimes in combo):

• hard refresh (CTRL+F5)
  • wait 15 minutes for the cache to expire
  • restart the gateway

Hi,

somehow I completely missed your reply.

I just checked and everything seems to be working.

Thanks for the fantastic support!

Willgart
Helper II
Helper II

I' suffering the same issue.

my first cube in my OLAP database is working fine, the second one has the same error.

and I suffer this problem with both an OLAP and Tabular instance on my server.

koenverbeeck
Advocate II
Advocate II

Update: when monitoring the gateway server with fiddler, the JSON response to a non-working dimension had the following error:

Could not resolve model references in the Semantic Query. Affected items: [dimension name].

OK, so I tried again this morning, after the weekend, and suddenly everything of the second cube works. Without any intervention. However, now some visualizations from the first cube - who did work - are now not working. Weird.

Thanks for raising this issue @koenverbeeck, we have looked into it and identified a caching issue in the PowerBI service for cases where there are multiple cubes for the same database.

A bug has been filed for the feature team. In the meantime, unfortunately there are not any workarounds we can suggest for the problem other than waiting 10-15min for the cache to clear in the service before opening the report.

OK, thanks for the feedback!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors