cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
shaan_dx New Member
New Member

Issue while adding a field from the data set(fetched through a SSAS cube via live connection)

Hello,

 

I am facing issue while adding a field(datatype: String) from the data set in my report. The data set is being fetched from a SSAS cube through a live connection.

The message I get every time is: 
The given key was not present in the dictionary.

 

I am able to browse this field in Cube and also I can browse the values to this field when I make a Excel pivot.

 

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Richie Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Issue while adding a field from the data set(fetched through a SSAS cube via live connection)

Same problem here. havent found anything similar on the web or any suggestions on how to solve it...

wouterzijlstra Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Issue while adding a field from the data set(fetched through a SSAS cube via live connection)

Same problem here. It happens with one table from the cube, everything else works normal. In Management Studio i'm able to browse on this table, but not in Power BI.

Zkrymer Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Issue while adding a field from the data set(fetched through a SSAS cube via live connection)

Hi!

 

I'm facing the same issue. A dimension attribute can't be displayed in a visual even though it's working ok from Excel for example.

Did you find a solution to it?

 

In my case it used to work before, but I know that in a previous release we started hiding some other attributes in that dimension, and also got rid of some hierarchies that we used to have. Maybe some relationship somewhere that PBI can't see anymore. Comparing to other attributes that are working ok, I can't see how they differ though. Will try some things and let you know if I find a solution, unless you have already solved it?

Zkrymer Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Issue while adding a field from the data set(fetched through a SSAS cube via live connection)

Hi again!

 

I managed to solve my issue. Like I suspected it had to do with the attribute key and the relationships defined in the dimension. Since we recently removed some hierarchies, and decided to hide some attributes, some relationships were also changed. This attribute used to be the lowest level in a hierarchy and the "middle level" is not there anymore. The relationship defined between this attribute and the key attribute was not valid I guess, at least from PBI for some reason. I'm not sure why it still worked in Excel. I know Excel and PBI interact with the cube in different ways, and I guess this is just another example of it. Somehow they see the cube and it's contents different from each other.

 

The key that we had specified for our "problem" attribute was a collection of two attributes, to enable us to build a proper hierarchy on it. By removing the 2nd attribute we had defined in the key, the problem disappeared for me. The composite key is not needed anyway since the hierarchy has been removed. Maybe It can be solved by just modifying the relationships as well.

So my advice is that you look into your attribute key, and your attribute relationships, and make sure they make sense. Can't say I'm 100% sure exactly why this solved it for me, but it somehow made sense to do it...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Find out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 111 members 1,748 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: