Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

planzel
Regular Visitor

Issue when switching pages for report level filters

When we apply a report level filter on a report page, then switch to another page in the report, it appears that the filter is not applied.  The report level filter remains checked but it takes a click of the Refresh button to refresh the page and get the filter applied.  Shouldn't the filter/refresh apply automatically to all pages when using a report level filter?

This doesn't appear to happen in Power BI Desktop.

We are using a direct connection to an on-premise tabular model, using enterprise gateway.

6 REPLIES 6
planzel
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the replies.  I don't think that model issues or slowness are the problem.  The filter works as expected on the 1st page; on the 2nd page the datasource is the same but the page does not refresh at all until we manually hit the Refresh button.

If you still believe this could be a bug, is there a suggested link for reporting it?

Hi @planzel,

Based on my test, if the report uses SSAS on-live connection, when we change report filter condition on first page, other pages will also updated with this filter condition. It seems that I'm not able to reproduce the issue.

If you believe this is a bug, you can submit a idea in the Power BI Ideas forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We are seeing the same effect here.  We also use an on-premise SSAS tabular cube.  Clicking refresh solves the problem but can cause potentially dangerous effects if the user thinks they are seeing data which is actually unrelated to the filter they set

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

We are seeing the same effect here.  We also use an on-premise SSAS tabular cube.  Clicking refresh solves the problem but can cause potentially dangerous effects if the user thinks they are seeing data which is actually unrelated to the filter they set

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@planzel Yes, the filter should apply right away. Have you experianced slowness in other aspects of working with your model? Is this new behavior to an existing report, or are you seeing this in a new report as you build it?  I have experianced some slowness when initially creating a report for the first time, but things even out pretty quickly. If this is on an existing report, and consistently happening, I'd file a bug.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@planzel I replicated your scenario by using directquery to sql server and then published the report. In powerbi.com I edited report and added report level filter. I didn't see any issues and it did filtered all the pages in my report.

Below is my guess about what might be happening in your case.

1) Since you're using DirectQuery it actually connects on-prem and filters data therefore you need to wait a little for pages to be filtered. Look for dotted spining circle. 

2) Ensure your tables on-prem are connected therefore when you apply filter to one page data represented on second page has relationships that will fitler it.

3) Switch to import if can.

Do let me know if any of above works for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors