Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MattG
Advocate II
Advocate II

Issue when refreshing from the Service using Get Data from web using " Add table from examples"

Hi All 

I've been trying out the new Get Data from web using " Add table from examples" and when I tried to set up a refresh in the Service I get the following error. Refresh works fine in the Desktop.
"Discover Data Sources
Query contains unknown funtion name: Web.BrowserContents.
Query contains unknown funtion name: Html.Table." 

Does this mean that these functions are not in the Service yet, Or in the Gateway (I'm running November 2018) or something else I need to change before publishing? Any suggestions welcome. 

The error message also has a typo.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @MattG,

Power query itself not contain any web browser plug-in. I think these functions only works on power bi desktop site, because desktop contains mini web browser to preview.(so you can get data from specific html elements)

In addition, this error message shows 'unknown' functions, it also means these functions have not released to power bi service.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MattG,

AFAIK, this feature need to manually choose which type of elements as table contents from preview web browser, I don't think these features works on power bi service side.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you to use web.connector to get data, it works both desktop and service side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Xiaoxin

Do you mean Web.Contents? Won't this require a table on the website to connect this way?

Matt

HI @MattG,

Power query itself not contain any web browser plug-in. I think these functions only works on power bi desktop site, because desktop contains mini web browser to preview.(so you can get data from specific html elements)

In addition, this error message shows 'unknown' functions, it also means these functions have not released to power bi service.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi 

Thanks for this, do you know if there is a timeline on when this functionality will be realeased to the service or where I should ask?

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors