Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DaveRuijter
Advocate II
Advocate II

Issue consuming a Content Pack in a Group Workspace

I'm having an issue consuming a Content Pack in a Group Workspace.

Steps to reproduce:

• Make group A.
  • Add content to group A.
  • Make content pack X from group A, give access to myself.
  • Make group B (hence I am admin).
  • Try to consume content pack X via "Get Data" -> the content pack is NOT showing!

This is a bug/issue!

I've shared the content pack with myself, so I should be able to consume it everywhere.

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@DaveRuijter

If you give access to yourself (add you email address) while publish content pack X from group A, you will only be able to get this content pack in My Workspace.

If you give access to group b alias while publish content pack X from group A, you will be able to get this content pack in group B.

There is one point we need to know – if we add personal email address during publish content pack, we will only be able to get it in My Workspace later. To get the ability to get content pack from other groups, we need to add group email address during publish content pack.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for the comments, I think that's an accurate description of how it currently works.

But, is it really designed to work like this?

I don't understand the logic behind that..

Why am I blocked from consuming a content pack in a group, if it is shared with my email address?

This bug is blocking scenario's of distributing content - most importantly dashboards - from group A to group B.

Think of it as a simple DTAP environment..

@DaveRuijter

Maybe you can take a look at the Data security section in this document.

All group members have the same permissions to the data as the content pack creator. 

If you only share the content pack with yourself in a group, other ones in the same group will not have the permission to same data. It will be conflict with above rule.

Best Regards,

Herbert

As the page you referred to states: " The one exception to this is SSAS on-premises datasets.".

That's the situation I'm talking about (should have mentioned this before).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors