Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jordi012
Helper I
Helper I

Issue Personal Gateway vs On-Premises Gateway

Hi,

For some reason I could not make the  On-Premises Gateway work properly, and I had to install the Personal Gateway. 

I looked for all possible explanations, so I have 2 questions:

1. Did anyone experience the same problem? Can the fact that the On-Premises Gateway is not responding be related with the    email address? is the only possible reason I find plausible after trying all types of stuff...

2. Can I have problems using the Personal Gateway instead of the On-Premises Gateway? which ones?

Thank you,

Jordi P López

15 REPLIES 15
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jordi012

When you said you had errors, was this when installing and configuring the On-Premise Gateway?

If so what errors did you get?

And yes you can use the Personal Gateway, but you will have to ensure that your PC or laptop is always on.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

About the error, I could install the On-Premises Gateway succesfully, but I could not refresh the dataset from the PBI Service. I set the data sources correctly (connections with the SQL Server, in my case), but every time I was trying to refresh the data, the refreshes were prompting me an error...saying that the PBI SErvice could not connect to the data sources...I was using a computer that was linked to the server database (by means of SQL Management Studio), but in PBI desktop I did not have any problem connecting with the data sources (so the connections, theoretically, were fine).

Finally, I decided to try to upload the pbix to the PBI service from the server itself (where the SQL Server was installed), and curiously I was prompted an error saying that: "Please install Gateway - Personal". I decided to do so, and then "bang!", everything works wonderfully...so..I dont understand...It's the first time I face such issue...

Btw, that PC will be always ON.

Thanks!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jordi012,

>>Can the fact that the On-Premises Gateway is not responding be related with the    email address? 

I haven't faced the issue, can you share some detail content about this issue?

>>Can I have problems using the Personal Gateway instead of the On-Premises Gateway? which ones?

On-premise Gateway is a managed gateway, you need to create the specific data sources and assign permissions to people who are able to use the data source (thus, Shared). For personal gateway, it is bind to user account, you can't share it or use live mode datasource(direct query, live connection). (notice: personal gateway not need to config datasources)

In addition, you can try to submit a support ticket and provide detail log to power bi team.(For e.g use Fiddler to get the operations steps and send to power bi team)

Reference link:

Troubleshooting Power BI Gateway - Personal

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

thanks a lot Xiaoxin.

.About the email address, I mean that if you have some restrictions enabled on it (i.e. 3rd party apps blocked) maybe it can alter Power BI Service...? What happened to me is that, I was trying to use On-Premises Gateway (OPG) and it permanently gave me an error saying that I needed to install the Personal Gateway???!! I could not refresh the data... I dont have the error now, bcs I installed the Personal Gateway as the error was prompting me, and now everything works fine for my surprise. This is why I asked how can that be?? that OPG service asks you to install the Personal Gateway?, maybe due to the email address settings?

.Regarding the limitations of Personal Gateway, it's ok for me, in this case, luckily, we are not using direct query, or live connection...and I realized that datasources config was not needed...

.By the way, could you please tell me where to submit the support ticket to the Power BI Team?? I have never done that before...

Thanks a lot for the link and your answer, it was helpful!

Hi,

Again the same thing...What am I doing wrong??

Error

I installed the On-Premises Gateway, and i am prompted to install teh Gateway - Personal.

Have there been any changes in PBI On-Premises Gateways??

Thank you.

Hi @jordi012,

I think your datasets contains some data source which on-premise gateway not support. If as I said, current if you use mixed datasources which contains the unsupported source, they can only use personal gateway to refresh.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Actually I've got some news. The error that I get is:

DM_GWPipeline_Client_GatewayUnreachable

and the Error State: 400

Any addittional help??

Thanks a lot.

I think the pc or server where the gateway is installed cannot connect to the Power BI service

Power BI Blog

Thanks, but how can I try to troubleshoot it?

Thanks.

Jordi.

I would suggest installing it as an On-Premise gateway. That will then give you a lot more functionality to test the connection.

Make sure that you have downloaded the latest On-Premise version

Power BI Blog

Thanks guavaq, 

I am trying to install it,, I also installed Fiddler...in those cases, may I ask, how do you troubleshoot the "unreachable Gateway" problem??

I attach here, I just downloaded and installed it. As you see works good,..but when I shut the browser and start session the again..GW-Ok.JPG

I logged in again and..surprise...

GW-down.JPG

Any ideas?

Hi @jordi012,

I can't reproduce your issue, perhaps you can try to submit a support ticket with the operate logs which trace by fidder and share them to power bi team.

Fiddler Trace

Fiddler is a free tool from Telerik that monitors HTTP traffic.  You can see the back and forth with the Power BI service from the client machine. This may show errors and other related information.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If you search for power bi troubleshoot gateway there will be an explanation.

I don't know the url offhand

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors