Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

navinrangar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is there any way to create a report from an existing 'push dataset' through APIs in Powerbi Service.

I have a react app.

This app has a button that will call an API to create a 'push dataset' in a specified powerbi service.

related doc- https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/push-datasets/datasets-post-dataset-in-group

now I have also pushed a table containing related data inside that newly created push dataset.

related doc- https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/push-datasets/datasets-post-rows-in-group#code-t...

by now we have everything that is needed to create a report. now I can go in my account and create a visual/graphical (I don't want a paginated one) report from the dataset.

But I don't want that.

I want something that can automate the creation of the report from the dataset.

I found a lot but couldn't find anything. now only hope on you guys.

@AnkitKukreja  an all

3 REPLIES 3
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi @navinrangar 

I'm not aware of any such method to create the report sorry. But if you've searched enough then I believe there is no API or an automated process to generate a report from the dataset.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me why we want to create an automatic report from a dataset because there are a lot of things that need to be done in a report and I personally feel that creating a report should be manual.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Thanks Ankit. You are right.

However, if we already have a dataset in our powerbi service workspace, we can create a report from power bi embedded analytics. It's basically an embedded in an client-app and with the help of a library we can convert that raw dataset into a report.

However it needs a powerbi-embedded licence that is purchased from azure.

I have not tried it but have just read about it.

IN CASE SOMEONE READING IT IN FUTURE-

it's really overwhelming to go through powerbi API docs as they may be a little bit distracting and confusing.

so, in case, like me if you want to create an automated report, do this.

1. in powerbi service apis there is a thing called push dataset, which can be created using apis.

2. now there are also apis to post data (rows) into that 'push dataset'.

3. now we can also delete rows from that push dataset programmatically (via APIs)

4. so create a push dataset, and then create a report manually.

5. and then whenever you want you can delete the existing data from that report and push new data rows into it.

You report visuals will adapt as per the new data. it is almost automated except only the first time, you gotta create a report manually.

Thanks!

IN CASE SOMEONE READING IT IN FUTURE

good one.  

now we can also delete rows from that push dataset programmatically (via APIs)

Not really.  All you can do is reset the dataset (ie truncate /delete all rows).  You cannot delete individual rows based on some criteria  (a long standing , long ignored request).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors