Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mmossel
Employee
Employee

Is there any downside to enabling large dataset storage format?

I'm aware of dataset eviction, and as large datasets consume more of your cacacity you may need to purchase a more expensive SKU. But why, as an end user, would I ever select a small data set storage size instead of a large one? Are there any drawbacks?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmossel ,

Just as the article you mentioned ,large dataset storage format has the following limitations.In my opinion, the bigger impact is the inability to download pbix files. I hope the following article will be of help to you.

v-luwang-msft_0-1618296294429.png

If I do Large dataset storage format, click the slider to On, I can't download pbix?

Large Dataset

Power BI Premium: Export .pbix files

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmossel ,

Just as the article you mentioned ,large dataset storage format has the following limitations.In my opinion, the bigger impact is the inability to download pbix files. I hope the following article will be of help to you.

v-luwang-msft_0-1618296294429.png

If I do Large dataset storage format, click the slider to On, I can't download pbix?

Large Dataset

Power BI Premium: Export .pbix files

Best Regards

Lucien

Note that the list of Considerations and limitations has changed. Look online for the current list.

There is an option now that you can still download the report, but it will have a live connection to the data online. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#download-modes 

Rudz_2-1680721328391.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are planning to use XMLA -based tools to perform write operations, you can enable the large dataset storage format even for datasets that you wouldn’t necessarily characterize as large datasets because this storage format helps to boost XMLA write performance.

Additionally as per my understanding, a large dataset storage is on premium file storage -Premium file shares are backed by solid-state drives (SSDs) and provide consistent high performance and low latency, within single-digit milliseconds for most IO operations, for IO-intensive workloads

Hope this gives you some insight...  If you think this answers your question, please accept this as a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors