Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdusek92
Helper IV
Helper IV

Is there an effective way to manage permissions for dozens of users without admin account?

Hello,

this is my story from today: For several months I have been working on a pretty comprehensive report. Now everything was ready for sharing with individual 130 users. I had the excel file with the valid email addresses of all the users.

Firstly I wanted to use an already created Share link, so I wanted to add more users to it: but I was getting a message: "To share with more than 100 people or groups, share this multiple times, or share with a user group that includes everyone you want to share with."

When I wanted to create a new Share link (which is not ideal, because it will send a new notification that I do not want), the problem was that after I successfully pasted those 130 email addresses, the "OK" button was out of the screen and I could not click it. Seriously?? I had to manually change the web source code via Inspect element to enlarge the Share window width:

default window width: Button is unclickable, outside the browser window:

jdusek92_2-1638224105181.png

edited window width: Button is visible, hurray!

jdusek92_1-1638224035995.png

But as you see I still wasn't able to share with 100+ users. ( anyway, the button would still be unclickable even for 90 users...)

So my next try was the Direct access sharing, because I really wanted to avoid creating new links multiple times:

Direct access worked great - it allows not to send the notification to the users, which is what I wanted, also I can add 100+ users in a single share action... But again, the "OK" button of the "add users" window was out of the screen, so again I had to manually change the width via Inspect Element........... but at least that worked

So now it is shared via Direct Access with 130 users. Uff

After all this struggle I wanted to check the Direct access users with the users in the Excel file I used as the source.

So I selected all the rows in the Direct Access table, copied and pasted them into Excel, and guess what, that super modern table in Power BI service copied only VISIBLE rows, not all the rows. What the Heck? there is no export option, there is no manual "copy users" option?

(BTW, My other shot was to share the Workspace with the Team. which you can do, but you cannot share just the REPORT with the team- why?

And again, there is no option to add multiple users to a MS Team. you can do that for PBI reports, just paste email addresses from Excel, but this very same functionality does not work when adding members to MS Team - again, why?)

Note: I do not have admin rights, therefore I cannot create Active directory groups, I cannot use Power Shell, I need to use the regular Power BI service interface.

My question: Am I missing some simple way how to do all the described, or is the "modern sharing experience" lacking basic management features? I am looking for a way to add users in bulk by email addresses without sending notification + a way to export all users and their email addresses so that I can audit the permissions

Thanks a lot

Jakub

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would share it using the Distribution list. An easier way to manage the user access and easy to find who has access too. You can contact all of them at once using DL. Better experience in my opinion. I have been using it for a while and I believe it is the best way to share

Hello,

yes, I was thinking about that, but then - how do I easily manage a distribution list? Via Outlook I can only add/remove one person at a time, so even less flexible than adding users to Reports.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jdusek92 ;

Share with more than 100 separate users

At most, you can share with 100 users or groups in a single share action. However, you can give more than 500 users access to an item. Here are some suggestions:

• Share multiple times by specifying the users individually.
  • Share with a user group that contains all the users.
  • Create the report or dashboard in a workspace, then create an app from the workspace. You can share the app with many more people. Read more about publishing apps in Power BI.

So can try the following sharing apps.
Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

but how can I get the list of all the users it is shared with? I have it shared with 130 users now, how can I download this list?

As I described, I cannot select all the users in the access settings table and press copy - it only copies the visible rows, not the rows outside of scroll area

Jakub

Hi, @jdusek92 ;

Powerbi API may be help you, You can refer to these related articles:

Returns a list of users that have access to the specified workspace. 

Get Current Login User Profile Properties Through REST API 
Reports - Get Reports

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64162191/get-list-of-users-with-viewer-right-to-powerbi-report-u...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors