Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naivecalf
Helper III
Helper III

Is there a viewer license (or read-only)

Hi,

We have 50 users, 2 report designers have Pro license, then share to other users, all other users just review the reports, do they have to assign a Pro license?

Thanks.

Regards

Steven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@naivecalf Options:

1) Everyone has Pro

2) Embedded - A Sku which is a usage based license you can purchase via Azure. While most if not all the documentation states that you need an EM sku (the Office Embedded sku) for internal, this has been verified with the Product team that it works and there are no restrictions. It is easier to implement, slightly more expensive. This would let you embed in SharePoint, etc. Pricing here -> https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

3) Embedded - EM sku - there are EM1 and EM 2 sku's that you are likely much more interested in then the EM 3 you see in O365 admin. Those require you to go through volumen licensing I believe.

Both of the embedded options will require your users to consume power bi reports in a different application. You will not be able to use the Power BI Service for consumption, only for report authors to deploy/share from.

P skus (premium) is the other license, but not relevant to you because it is the most costly and used for large orgs.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@naivecalf If you want them to consume reports in the Power BI Service - "Yes". There are other options with Embedded solution where you could look into surfacing reports in an application (A or EM sku). Or alteranatively if you upgrade your Office license to an E5 - that covers Power BI Pro for all users as well.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer 

When you stated "Or alteranatively if you upgrade your Office license to an E5 - that covers Power BI Pro for all users as well" are you saying that if the designer has an E5 license users with E3 licenses could consume the reports? I am assuming that anyone who wants to consume the reports would need an E5 or BI Pro license but want to clarify.

Thank you

@Namaste2u The users would all need E5 licenses or a Pro license to read reports shared with them via the Service. (Unless Premium is used)

@Seth_C_Bauer 

Can you please explain more about the other options. we don't want to upgrade E5 to all users. thanks.

Regards

Steven

@naivecalf Options:

1) Everyone has Pro

2) Embedded - A Sku which is a usage based license you can purchase via Azure. While most if not all the documentation states that you need an EM sku (the Office Embedded sku) for internal, this has been verified with the Product team that it works and there are no restrictions. It is easier to implement, slightly more expensive. This would let you embed in SharePoint, etc. Pricing here -> https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

3) Embedded - EM sku - there are EM1 and EM 2 sku's that you are likely much more interested in then the EM 3 you see in O365 admin. Those require you to go through volumen licensing I believe.

Both of the embedded options will require your users to consume power bi reports in a different application. You will not be able to use the Power BI Service for consumption, only for report authors to deploy/share from.

P skus (premium) is the other license, but not relevant to you because it is the most costly and used for large orgs.

Thank you. @Seth_C_Bauer 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors