Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Is "Enhanced Compute Engine" control a Premium feature only?

I was setting up the refresh schedule of a new Dataflow and came across this setting for Enhanced compute engine settings (preview).

But changing any of the settings was disabled for me. So I checked in the Admin portal and found no reference to this.

My research brought me to this post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-dataflows-june-2019-feature-summary/  where the author mentions "To enable the enhanced compute engine, you will first need to go to the capacity admin" (emphasis mine). Which infers PREMIUM Workspaces only. FYI, there is no mention of PREMIUM in the article.

So I'm posting more of a rhetorical question here, and a bit of a rant: Why can't Microsoft authors come out and explicitly state when features are PREMIUM only? I can't tell you the number of hours I have wasted investigating and trying out cool looking new Power BI features, only to find later that my efforts were for naught because I only have a Pro Economy license. (I think they should re-name the license level. "Pro" means Professional. It's not. It's lacking many of the professional features. So let's call it what it is: ECONOMY)

To tell the truth, I'm getting gun-shy about anything I read from Microsft about Power BI new features. First thing I do is a Ctrl+F on the article and search for "premium". 

And why, in my case here, where I have a Workspace that is NOT in a Premium node, do I see settiings that ONLY apply if it is? 

Also wish there was a "Learn more" link somewhere in the vacinity. At least for Endorsement (preview) they included the Learn more link.

*heavy sigh*

<\rant>

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ToddChitt ,

If you have any feedback on this feature, please email the team.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-lianl-msft 

Thanks for the tip. But this post rant is not so much about Dataflows as it is about Microsoft blog authors that do NOT specify early on that the feature or setting they are writing about applies to Premium only. 

In SQL Server documents on line, there is usually a standard line at the top that has "Applies to..." information:

"Applies to [X] SQL Server 2016, [X] Azure SQL Database, [X] Azure Data Warehouse"

It is born out of countless times of reviewing an article about a cool new feature thinking how I might make use of it, only to find later on, either in the article, or when I go to implement it, that it is a Premium ONLY feature. 

It's call "Bait and Switch" in retail terms and is considered VERY unprofessional.

How about some standards for Power BI blog articles? Tell me UP FRONT if it applies to me or not.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

probably not a consolation but that option currently does nothing even in a Premium environment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors