Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

superific

Is it redundant to use both Common Data Service for Apps (CDS-A) and PowerBI DataFlows?

I'm thinking to create an app in PowerApps where the data is stored in CDM (CDS-A) and then using PowerBI Dataflows to clean and centralise the data before pushing it to PowerBI Desktop.

Since CDS-A and Dataflows both store data in Azure DataLake Gen 2, is it redundant?

And should I store the PowerApps data in SharePoint Online lists instead before pushing it to DataFlows?

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @superific ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @superific ,

Since CDS-A and Dataflows both store data in Azure DataLake Gen 2, is it redundant?

And should I store the PowerApps data in SharePoint Online lists instead before pushing it to DataFlows?

I'm afraid that we may not say that it is redundant to use both Common Data Service for Apps (CDS-A) and PowerBI DataFlows.

CommCommon Data Service for Apps (CDS-A) is used for Apps and PowerBI DataFlows could supported more data sources.

I think there should be other difference between them. you could have a reference of this article.

For your scenario, if your want to shore your PowerApps data in Dataflow, I 'm afraid that you need to store the PowerApps data in SharePoint Online lists instead before pushing it to DataFlows as there is no direct connector to connect Power App in Dataflow in Power BI Service.

Acutally, if you want to create the report with Power APP in Power BI Destkop, I think you could connect it with Common Data Service for Apps connector in Power BI Desktop directly.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

From what I understand, whatever entities you create in CDS or Dataflows they end up in the Common Data Model on the Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2. From all the Microsoft Architecture pictures I see ONE CDM and both PowerApps and Power BI using the same entities from the CDM. However user experience wise it does not feel as one CDM. I connected my via Dataflows loaded Entities to my Azure Blob Storage, but it is not realy feasable to manage them from that angle. I have not found a way to do the same for my CDS into one Blob storage account...

I guess there is some work left for Microsoft to make this experience more seamless, or did I overlook a way to manage my CDM as one for both PowerApps as well as Power BI, or Flow for that matter being part of the Power Platform...

Hello @Hilko ,

I think i'm looking for the same functionality. I want to consume the data I generate with dataflows in the data lake gen2 in a powerapp. 

My colleague found this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2019wave2/cdm-data-integration/consume-...

It seems like there is no solution to this yet. Have you found a solution for the issue and would you share it?

Hi @MisterB52 ,

Thanks for that link, that looks interesting too. No, I have not seen or found a good solution yet. Hopefully after MSFT alings the PowerPlatform Analytics, they will create some PowerPlatform portal from where I can mange my CDM as one, irrespective of whether it gets its data through CDS or DataFlows...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors