Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to view reports on Power BI without downloading Power BI app or depending on Power BI

Would it be possible to view Power BI repors on mobile devices and computers without the dependency of going through power BI?

For example I would like to share a link to take a user to a report, but they will have to go through powerbi.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous I see your running multiple threads on this topic. As mentioned in the other thread, if you are using Power BI Embedded for external customer facing reports than those reports would be embedded in a hosted application and would appear as hosted by you... I believe.

If you are asking if you can take the Power BI Service and host it locally on the VM, then "no, not to my knowledge."

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I apologize for the un clear question.

Is it possible to have Power BI Reports in a VMs local repository in Azure? How about the report access being on the VM's local repository?

Lets say our VM's local address in Azure is 10.0.2.1.

When distributing a Power BI dashboard or report the link that is being sent or accessed is for example: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=asubisdiucibsdibciasb:

This means the viewing of the Power BI report is not on the Azure VM local repository

We want it so that we can view these reports on our Azure VM Local repository like so https://10.0.2.1:8080/powerbi/usagereports/report1  

In this way we are not going through Powerbi.com to view the reports but just our own links/repositories.

Thanks

@Anonymous Not to my knowledge. Power BI is a Software as a Service, not a Platform as a Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer, Although I am not able to reference reports like I mentioned.

Am I still able to host Power BI in an Azure VM? So that all the report and links are directly referenced from that VM instead of Microsofts Cloud or where ever the power bi link is referenced from.

If not what alternatives do you recommend in so be able to get these reports directly from the vm in azure or azure itself.

Thanks.

@Anonymous I see your running multiple threads on this topic. As mentioned in the other thread, if you are using Power BI Embedded for external customer facing reports than those reports would be embedded in a hosted application and would appear as hosted by you... I believe.

If you are asking if you can take the Power BI Service and host it locally on the VM, then "no, not to my knowledge."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your assitance!

@Anonymous I don't know if I completely understand your question.. but an alternative to using the Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com) will be SQL Server Reporting Services. Currently you can deploy a PBI Desktop report to a SSRS server and extend those to mobile reports via the Power BI App. The current implementation in SQL 2016 is just a rough version one, but the next release holds a lot of promise. You can download a preview if you like here

Outside of that, there are options to use Power BI reports in applications using the DEV tools or Power BI Embedded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors