Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JavierGold
Regular Visitor

Is it possible to share a dataset across workspaces?

I am trying to share a dataset across workspaces in order to not duplicate.  Do I need to share the dataset as an app in order to do this?   

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@JavierGold

If you want to share a dataset across multiple workspaces without duplicating it, currently you can only create an app.

However, this is only for viewing data. If you need to use the dataset to create new reports, you still have to use Content Pack and create a copy of the dataset.

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@JavierGold

If you want to share a dataset across multiple workspaces without duplicating it, currently you can only create an app.

However, this is only for viewing data. If you need to use the dataset to create new reports, you still have to use Content Pack and create a copy of the dataset.

Regards,

Hi,

I've got a similar problem but I don't think that this solution would work for me e.g. We've got Finance / Customer / Sales workspaces etc. with multiple datasets in them.  Even adding and App will will require adding/duplicating the same dataset to Apllication Workspace, so even using App will require maintaing duplicated copy of the dataset, one in native workspace e.g. Sales and the other one in AppWorkspace? Is that correct?

Not being able to pin report tiles accoss different Workspaces is a huge limitation, in scenario of having Bounded Contexts linked to Power BI Workspaces and permissions/security on the Workspace level it makes impossible to create cross-context dashboard showing different aspects of the business on a a single dashboard page. This is what is required by many senior managers or MDs.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Dan 

I've seen this post and we would like to know if there is any advance. Our post is:

Use case: With the tabular model in PBI, users have editing access to create their own reports/visualization and after that, they save the file with a new name.

This is "polluting" a bit the workspace, so we would like to grant them the possibility to save their work in their own workspace.

I have investigated a bit and now PBI enables the same dataset to be shared with other workspaces, without having the need to create a new dataset in each workspace. What I found out:

1. We can copy a dataset from one workspace to another. I can do that in the Tabular Report module but it only lets me save on some reports. I cannot save it on my own workspace. Not sure if it's related to permissions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-copy-reports

2. There is also the possibility on our own workspace to do a report based on other datasets, if I do this (+create -> reports -> that dataset doesn't show).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-discover-across-workspaces

3. Or maybe is just a question of permissions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions

Could someone help out?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors