Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alexbjorlig
Helper IV
Helper IV

Is it possible to override an existing report when publishing a power BI report from desktop?

When I select the "Publish" button in Power BI, I can choose a workspace.

But I was wondering if it's possible to override an already published report?

I noticed that this actually happens sometimes, when making edits and then publishing again (i.e. there is not created a  new report, but the already published report is overridden).

Thanks for the help - trying to set up a dev/prod flow, and choosing to override an existing application could be useful here  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Short answer yes. Controlled by the name.

Long answer - create a model first using Power BI Desktop and publish in a workspace. Use this model to create reports using Get Data->Power BI datasets.

This way if you need to update the model you can do it silently in the background without changing the report (the visuals).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, you can overwrite a published report. Do it all the time. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Ok - good.

Is it controlled by the name of the report then?

Short answer yes. Controlled by the name.

Long answer - create a model first using Power BI Desktop and publish in a workspace. Use this model to create reports using Get Data->Power BI datasets.

This way if you need to update the model you can do it silently in the background without changing the report (the visuals).

HI  @alexbjorlig,

Power bi not only checks the report name but also compares the difference between these contents.BTW, power bi service will generate report id for published reports, they will also be used to compare with published contents)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors