Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to export underlying data without Build permission?

Hi,

Is it possible to export underlying data without Build permission for a user?

The user should be able to export the underlying data in adherence to the RLS filter. I don't want the user to be able to edit the report.

As far as I remember, it was possible to do this last year. Any changes since then?

Regards,

Saud Meethal

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

exporting data from a visual has no relation to build permissions (which are a prerequisite for "Analyze in Excel" - very different from export)

There are settings in the Power BI Desktop that allow the developer to limit exports to summary data only etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @lbendlin ,

I have enabled the export underlying data setting under the report settings in pbix as well as enabled it at the power bi admin portal (from organization's O365 portal). But still the user with the Read permission is unable to export underlying data, only summarized is possible. 

In some Power BI blogs I've come across, they've mentioned that underlying export will be enabled with Build permission only.

So is there anymore settings I can tweak to enable the export without letting the user change the report?

Regards,

Saud Meethal

Hi  @Anonymous ,

For exporting underlying data, it requires a buid permission.

See the reference below:

Limitations and considerations

These limitations and considerations apply to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service, including Power BI Pro and Premium.

Here is the related .reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data#:~:text=To%20export%20the%20data%20from,csv%20file%20is%2030%2C000.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi there,

As far as I know when you export a visual it will export all the data shown within the visual.

If you need the underlying data you would have to connect with Analyze in Excel?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors