Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chudson
Helper IV
Helper IV

Is it possible for a Power BI report/dataset to be alerted if a source data set is not refreshed

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a Power BI report/dataset have some sort of alert or notification if a source data set is not refresh by the time a schedule Power BI dataset is to start.? Here's my scenario below:

The majority of my reports are linked to our Azure SQL server or what we call our Azure Datawarehouse that refreshes nightly that normally takes 45 min to an hour to complete but can sometimes encounter network issues and fail or take longer.  My dilema is that I have some Power BI reports on scheduled refreshes with subscription snapshots that refresh no matter what and then send out a subscription email, even if the source data fails.  Is there a way for the Power BI to be alerted or something to set up so when these source data sets fail so the Power BI datasets don't auto refresh on schedule and send duplicated stale data snapshots for 2 days prior?  I've been trying to work with my IT team and they suggested Power Shell but I don't know much about that or how it would work.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes, you can stop the scheduled refresh and use Powershell or Power Automate to create a process that polls your data source for completion of the source refresh, and then issue an REST API request to refresh the dataset. That is a much better use of your capacity resources than a schedule.

Here is the sandbox where you can try it out

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/refreshdatasetingroup

You can specify the same notification options so that you receive an email on failure.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes, you can stop the scheduled refresh and use Powershell or Power Automate to create a process that polls your data source for completion of the source refresh, and then issue an REST API request to refresh the dataset. That is a much better use of your capacity resources than a schedule.

Here is the sandbox where you can try it out

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/refreshdatasetingroup

You can specify the same notification options so that you receive an email on failure.

Hi @lbendlin @GilbertQ 

Thanks for the information, I'll be working directly with some members of our IT team to see what we can do with Power Shell or Power Automate.  I'll let you know how it goes and if we have any other questions.

Awesome I found that using Power Automate was super easy.

PowerShell could also work too.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What I have done is to get an email when the DW has completed its load.

I then use Power Automate which watches my Outlook Inbox, when I get the email with the completion of the DW load, I then use a Flow to refresh the dataset.

Which in turn send out the email subscription once the dataset has been refreshed (Subscription is set to send out after dataset refresh)

This all is super easy to setup and configure using Power Automate

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors