Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HMPT
Frequent Visitor

Is incremental refresh available with custom connectors?

On reports with tables from a custom connector, I’m getting Error 500 – Internal Server Error while uploading the report to Power BI Service, if incremental refresh is also enabled. As far I can tell, the error occurs when enabling incremental refresh, on the table sourced from the connector or any other table.
Error.PNG

I didn’t find any documentation about using incremental refresh through/with a custom connector, so I would like to know whether is possible or not. Here’s a sample report; connector and test file which cause the error: Link

I’m using Power BI Desktop Version: 2.81.5831.821 64-bit (May 2020).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HMPT
Frequent Visitor

After some back and forth with the Microsoft support and product teams, the incremental refresh feature is now working with custom connectors. I've tested with the Power BI Desktop (July 2020), the On-premisses data gateway 3000.51.7 (July 2020) and the current version of the service (Service version13.0.14066.71).

There's only an additional step. After setting up the incremental refresh and uploading the report to the service, one must go to the data set settings and select "Discover Data sources". After that, the incremental refresh, through the connector, works as expected.
tempsnip.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any success with it? I am getting the same error and struggling to overcome it. Thanks in advance!

@Anonymous, After all, I was able to create a support ticket with Microsoft. I haven't received a response saying incremental refresh isn't supported through custom connectors and they're still trying to debug the issue. Some of the debugging steps they suggested were uploading the report directly from the Power BI Service and trying to upload to a different workspace. As soon as I have a definitive answer, I'll post it here.

HMPT
Frequent Visitor

After some back and forth with the Microsoft support and product teams, the incremental refresh feature is now working with custom connectors. I've tested with the Power BI Desktop (July 2020), the On-premisses data gateway 3000.51.7 (July 2020) and the current version of the service (Service version13.0.14066.71).

There's only an additional step. After setting up the incremental refresh and uploading the report to the service, one must go to the data set settings and select "Discover Data sources". After that, the incremental refresh, through the connector, works as expected.
tempsnip.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@HMPT , I've been looking for information on what with what connectors incremental refresh is supported but not finding anything definitive.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @HMPT,

apparently it works with the custom connector for the WooCommerce API, as outlined here.

If you have a Pro account you could try to open a (free) support ticket. Go to the support page to file a support ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

HMPT
Frequent Visitor

@nickyvv, Thanks for the WooCommerce connector link. I was wondering how would a custom connector access the parameters (RangeStart and RangeEnd) required for the incremental refresh. I'll be sure to checking it out.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I’m unable to create a support ticket since I don’t have a Pro account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors