Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sparks
Helper I
Helper I

Is dedicated capacity required if workspace contains only reports with Live Connection

Hi, 

In our scenario, the workspaces contains power bi reports with Live connection (to the Azure Analysis Services) only. There are no datasets published to the workspaces that requrie a refresh.

Question 1: Even in this case, should the workspace be assigned to a dedicated capacity (A or P SKUs)?

Question 2: Currently, we have assigned A3 SKU capacity, and the max memory utilization over the last few weeks is just 2GB. What problems could occur if no dedicated capacity is assigned?

Please help!

Regards

Sujai. 

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Sparks 

If you are embedding your reports then you would need to use either an A or P SKU.

Other than that it would work well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Sparks 

What is the issue you are expecting if the workspace moves from dedicated capacity to shared capacity?

If you are using P SKU and you move to shared capacity everyone who uses the reports will need a license.

If you are embedding your PBI reports into another application, then you can use the A or P SKU and both will work fine because you are using AAS.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ , to your question "What is the issue you are expecting if the workspace moves from dedicated capacity to shared capacity?", I was wondering if the rendering of reports (embedded) visuals would have any performance issues, or lose any funcationality such as "Allow service principals to use Power BI APIs" to access the workspace reports etc. 

If all my reports in the pbi workspace are hitting the analysis services, then I don't even need to assign a dedicated capacity to the worksspace at all, correct?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors