cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FilipK
Resolver I
Resolver I

Is data lost when an incremental refresh fails?

My incremental refresh is configured as follow

FilipK_0-1637910444230.png

The scheduled refresh is set to once per day, 4a.m.

What happens if the refresh fails (e.g. memory limitations)? Will the data be fetched with the next refresh even it'll be two days back then?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No data is lost if a partition refresh fails, regardless if incremental or not.  As you may recall the Power BI service requires twice as much memory for a refresh as the data size.  While the original partition is served to the users the new partition is computed. Only when the new partition has been successfully created then it will be swapped (blitted) in, and the old partition will be released.  If the refresh fails for whatever reason then the old partition stays active.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No data is lost if a partition refresh fails, regardless if incremental or not.  As you may recall the Power BI service requires twice as much memory for a refresh as the data size.  While the original partition is served to the users the new partition is computed. Only when the new partition has been successfully created then it will be swapped (blitted) in, and the old partition will be released.  If the refresh fails for whatever reason then the old partition stays active.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

Jan 2022 Dev Camp 768x460 copy.png

Power BI Dev Camp- January 27th, 2022

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!