Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnthonyMCUBI
Frequent Visitor

Is creating a Dataflow from another Dataflow without linking entities possible?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to create a dataflow from another, already created, dataflow table. The only way I know how to do this currently is using the linking entities feature which is only allowed by premium users, but my employer only gave us non-premium accounts. One of the main benefits described by linking entities in the power BI documentation is that it links entities without duplicating data, but I'm ok with dupliation. Is there an alternative, non-premium feature that creates a dataflow from another?  non-duplication is not necessary.

Thank you,

Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

Yes that all makes sense and as far as I am aware that is only currently available with Power BI Premium.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ozdamar85

That is it. Thank you very much!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The only way I could think of is to copy and paste all the M code from the first dataflow and then add in the additional steps that you want to do?

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert,

I should've added more context. We already have a set of dataflows that are defined with orthogonal, minimal data in an effort to transmit the least amount of information "over the wire" to the powerbi service as possible. But, we'd like to have a different interface for the end-user than these minimal dataflows, and it'd be nice to be able to transform them in the powerbi service into second set of dataflows that are organized better for that aforementioned end-user. Does that make sense?

Because of that, copy-pasting the M code would be insufficient, not because of the data copies in the powerbi service, but because of the redundant data sent over HTTP.

Hi there,

Yes that all makes sense and as far as I am aware that is only currently available with Power BI Premium.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors