Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SalarRabbani
Regular Visitor

Is Power BI desktop with on premise data gateway the solution if Power BI server is not possible?

My Client does not want to store any data in the cloud, therefore normally Power BI report server would be the best option.

However, the company does not have the sql enterprise edition with software assurance package and does not want to require PBI premium per capacity license as its to expensive and overkill for their purpose.

Is power BI desktop and Power BI service with on premise data gateway the solution?

If so, as they want to avoid caching as well, do I assume that all table connections should be direct query?

if yes, Could you provide me additional info and sources on this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi Salar. I don't think you can't prevent cache with direct query. If the restriction of having data on the cloud is that strong, you might need a local instance of Analysis Services (SQL Server Standard licence). That way you can "live connect" with PowerBi. The cloud service will send queries to the engine to get data for each click without caching. The direct query is kind off a solution because at the end of the day the data is not stored on the cloud, but it has cache. You can reduce the timing of the cache to keep it almost as querying data everytime you click on something, but even though it's cache.

Both solutions will require on premise data gateway. It will depend on the restriction of the "data in the cloud". I personally think that trusting PowerBi Service for Direct Query is the same than trusting it with import mode removing any kind of exporting tool for the data. That will just keep it in the cloud and you can't get it out of there unless you are PowerBi Admin.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi Salar. I don't think you can't prevent cache with direct query. If the restriction of having data on the cloud is that strong, you might need a local instance of Analysis Services (SQL Server Standard licence). That way you can "live connect" with PowerBi. The cloud service will send queries to the engine to get data for each click without caching. The direct query is kind off a solution because at the end of the day the data is not stored on the cloud, but it has cache. You can reduce the timing of the cache to keep it almost as querying data everytime you click on something, but even though it's cache.

Both solutions will require on premise data gateway. It will depend on the restriction of the "data in the cloud". I personally think that trusting PowerBi Service for Direct Query is the same than trusting it with import mode removing any kind of exporting tool for the data. That will just keep it in the cloud and you can't get it out of there unless you are PowerBi Admin.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors