Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tommy_g
Helper V
Helper V

Is PPU being throttled?

I have been working with a client on a new application. We have very modest data, two multi-page reports connected "live" to a PBIX dataset, one lightweight DQ dashboard and one cached DM connected to various Dataflows.

We find snappy performance for each report / page individually. But if we move quickly between reports, as we might do in a demo or review session, we find that response time slows to a crawl, leaving white space instead of report content.

I am familiar with performance in a shared environment from my years of Azure SQL DB. This scenario gives me the same vibe when you push beyond your DTU allocation. I see where Premium capacity can be throttled during peak periods.

I have never seen where PPU has similar limits. Note that we're not processing billions of rows and reports have been tuned appropriately in Performance Analyzer.

Looking for advice how to diagnose this bottleneck in the service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tommy_g ,

Please correct me if I have misunderstood your question.
According to the information you provided, this issue only occurs when reports are interacting frequently, and it is a problem caused by Power BI report performance, not related to Power BI PPU licenses.

Slow reports can be identified by report users who experience reports that are slow to load, or slow to update when interacting with slicers or other features. When reports are hosted on a Premium capacity, slow reports can also be identified by monitoring the Power BI Premium Metrics app. This app helps you to monitor the health and capacity of your Power BI Premium subscription.

If he is hosted on the Premium capacity of PPU, you can try to see if it helps by following this link.
If the report is hosted on shared capacity, you can refer to this link to optimize the report.

Troubleshoot report performance in Power BI 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
robgauldie

PPU resource is definitely throttled.   I can't find any documentation on this,  but it was confirmed to me after we queried a long standing refresh issue with Microsoft.

There really should be guidance on this.  The reasons for limits to be in place are clear, but it makes it very hard to design a setup if these throttling constraints are not publicised.    A large amount of time was spent in this case looking at other potential bottle necks, as there is no guidance, and our use of resource in this case was not particularly heavy.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tommy_g ,

Please correct me if I have misunderstood your question.
According to the information you provided, this issue only occurs when reports are interacting frequently, and it is a problem caused by Power BI report performance, not related to Power BI PPU licenses.

Slow reports can be identified by report users who experience reports that are slow to load, or slow to update when interacting with slicers or other features. When reports are hosted on a Premium capacity, slow reports can also be identified by monitoring the Power BI Premium Metrics app. This app helps you to monitor the health and capacity of your Power BI Premium subscription.

If he is hosted on the Premium capacity of PPU, you can try to see if it helps by following this link.
If the report is hosted on shared capacity, you can refer to this link to optimize the report.

Troubleshoot report performance in Power BI 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors