Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

barakb321
Frequent Visitor

Is Analyze in Excel Premium Feature?

Hello,

The following link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-connect-power-bi-datasets-excel says connecting Excel to PBI is a premium feature.

However, when I select a dataset and the click Analyze in Excel I get an Excel showing the dataset tables as expected, and I don't have Premium.

It's imprtant for me to know because I want to use such a connected Excel to periodically scan the dataset for forbidden texts.

Thanks,

Barak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @barakb321 

i assuume that you are referring to this passage: " ... Analyzing Power BI data in Excel requires that the dataset be in a Power BI Premium workspace or that you have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license ..."

Please be aware, that of the word OR. This passage says that the feature Analyzing Power BI data in Excel requires licensing, this licensing can happen in bulk by having a Premium Per Capacity license or on a per user license having a PRO licence or a Premium Per User license.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify what is needed. A license is needed not a Premium workspace.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Resolver I
Resolver I

I have a follow up question. If I have a Premium workspace (Power BI Premium Per User content), is there a reason why Power BI would require a user to upgrade to PPU (trial) in order to use Analyze In Excel?

Hey @itsme ,

if the dataset resides in a PPU workspace, this dataset can only be accessed (from inside Power BI or from the outside) by users who have a PPU license assigned.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens ,

Just to make sure I fully understand, if the end user has a Pro license and wants to access the dataset, the workspace needs to be either Pro or Premium Capacity, but not Premium Per User (PPU), correct?

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

itsme_0-1658610637496.png

Hey @itsme ,

absolutely!

If a user has a Pro license, content can be hosted inside a PRO or Premium Per Capacity workspace,

From the link you posted above, this explains it:

Users must have a Premium Per User (PPU) license to access content in a Premium Per User (PPU) workspace or app. This requirement includes scenarios where users are accessing the content through the XMLA endpoint, Analyze in Excel, Composite Models, and so on. "

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Good to know! Thank you.

Sorry for all the questions, I have another one. Does this mean if I share a PBI App from a PPU workspace, do end users need PPU license to view the App?

Hey @itsme ,

the licensing of the workspace hosting the content that will be accessed by users (via the Power BI app, XMLA endpoint, or analyze-in-Excel determines the license that has to be assigned to the user:

The below list must be applied for above-mentioned access methods

PRO licensed workspace (the default)

• content can be accessed by users with a PRO license
  • content can be accessed by users with a PPU license or users with PRO license + PPU add-on

PPU licensed workspace

• content can be accessed by users with a PPU license or users with PRO license + PPU add-on

Premium Per Capacity licensed workspace

• content can be accessed by users with a FREE license
  • content can be accessed by users with a PRO license

If there is need to access/create content inside the workspace directly, all users need a PRO or PPU/PRO+PPU add-on. There is one exception, content that resides inside a Premium Per Capacity workspace can be accessed by users with a FREE license if these users have the workspace role Viewer assigned.

Report Publishing 

A user with a

• PPU or PRO+PPU add-on license assigned
    can publish reports to all workspaces (PRO, PPU, and Premium Per Capacity) and of course the "My workspace" of the user
  • PRO license assigned
    can publish reports only of workspace of type PRO, Premium Per Capacity and of course the "My workspace" of the user
  • FREE license assigned
    can publish only to "My workspace", content inside the "My workspace" can not be shared with other users

Hopefully, this answers all your questions. If not, ask again, this licensing, sharing thing takes a while to sink in.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @barakb321 

i assuume that you are referring to this passage: " ... Analyzing Power BI data in Excel requires that the dataset be in a Power BI Premium workspace or that you have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license ..."

Please be aware, that of the word OR. This passage says that the feature Analyzing Power BI data in Excel requires licensing, this licensing can happen in bulk by having a Premium Per Capacity license or on a per user license having a PRO licence or a Premium Per User license.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify what is needed. A license is needed not a Premium workspace.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors