Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndreaPRJ
Helper I
Helper I

Inviting external users and our tenant

Goodmorning everyone.

A question about sharing a report (our Power BI workspaces) with an external user who already has a power BI PRO licenses.
Is it enough that this external user I invite has his power BI Pro license, or do I have to register this external user
ALSO in our tenant of our company  occupying another  license?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreaPRJ ,

Make sure you enable the Invite external users to your organization feature in the Power BI admin portal before inviting guest users. Even when this option is enabled, the user must be granted the Guest Inviter role in Azure Active Directory to invite guest users.

Guest users only require invitations the first time you invite them to your organization. To invite users, use planned or ad hoc invites.

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. You do not need to provide or assign him additional Pro licenses when he has his own Power BI Pro license.

By default, external Azure AD B2B limits guests to consumption of content only. External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, and export data. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content. To remove these restrictions, you can use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature.

For more considerations and limitations,please see here .

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreaPRJ ,

Make sure you enable the Invite external users to your organization feature in the Power BI admin portal before inviting guest users. Even when this option is enabled, the user must be granted the Guest Inviter role in Azure Active Directory to invite guest users.

Guest users only require invitations the first time you invite them to your organization. To invite users, use planned or ad hoc invites.

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. You do not need to provide or assign him additional Pro licenses when he has his own Power BI Pro license.

By default, external Azure AD B2B limits guests to consumption of content only. External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, and export data. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content. To remove these restrictions, you can use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature.

For more considerations and limitations,please see here .

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thank you very much for your reply and sorry for the delay 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @AndreaPRJ ,

To share externally, the admin of your tenant has to turn it on.  The key is that the userid you share with is the one that they have the license with.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors