Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sabake
Frequent Visitor

Invalid mashup connection string

Hello

After uploading new version of the model with RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters set to enable incremental loading data update in PowerBI Service fails instantly with:

Something went wrong
An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.
Please try again later, or contact support for the following details.
Data source error: {"error": {"code": "DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidMashupConnectionString", "pbi.error": {"code": "DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidMashupConnectionString", "parameters": {}, "exception": "exception": 1}}}
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 099f5a37-7f6d-45eb-8e62-3c471f541172
Query ID: 04dae897-de4f-54a2-b358-686d1c18e8ea
Time: 2020-07-01 20: 09: 49Z

From forum this exact wording seems to be the first such reported case..

10 REPLIES 10
sabake
Frequent Visitor

a late notice, but the issue was resolved with august update of powerbi. Unfortunately all models had to be re-created from scratch to enable incremental loading.

Hi,I am facing same issue.I tried restarting the gateway.Could you please let me know the solution for this?

shachar_0-1674551141556.png

anthonyloh
Helper I
Helper I

I started getting this error right after we updated our On Premsis gateway to the latest version. Any one else seeing the same thing?

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sabake 

I wonder what data sources you are conncectint to. Based on error message, it seems like there are something wrong with your datasource connection and parameters.

I'd like to suggest you to refer to the following links. If it still doesn't work, you may open a support ticket here .

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings 

Troubleshooting refresh scenarios 

Troubleshoot gateways - Power BI 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Opened the ticket a none of the pages describe the issue encountered.

Interesting is, that dataset management page does not detect the rangestart and rangeend parameters, but the parameters are visible in the data model..

sabake
Frequent Visitor

Case is still open, but for others who have encountered similar - PowerBI Desktop and PowerBI Service do data queries a bit differently, so successful data load in desktop do not mean successful data load in the service. Diligently following that native query is shown (and makes sense) in the desktop for all source (loaded from external DB) tables is the way to avoid surprises from the service.

I still have issues on service data load, but after ensuring all source db queries are correct the mashup connection string dissapeared - was replaces with various timeout errors. As I'm actually loading fact and dimension tables transformed from the source tables then issue is probably with the transformation methods.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you confirm you have the latest version of the Power BI Gateway installed?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, update was installed couple of days ago. 

sabake
Frequent Visitor

Just for case the query widely used in the model is:

Source = Value.NativeQuery(PostgreSQL.Database("xxxx.rds.amazonaws.com", "xxx", [CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 4, 0, 0), ConnectionTimeout=#duration(0,4,0,0)]), "select * from xx.xxx", null, [EnableFolding=true]),
#"Filtered rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [created] > #datetime(2019, 6, 1, 0, 0, 0) and [created] >= RangeStart and [created] < RangeEnd),

This works as intended in the desktop and I can upload model into Power BI service without errors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, my issue is only with a PostGres database. Just a hint that this may be part of the issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors