Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

josen95
Frequent Visitor

Invalid Credentials After Updating R Version

I have been unable to refresh any of my reports, due to invalid credentials ever since updating my version of R.

I get the following message:

Screenshot (51).pngScreenshot (53).png

The refreshes had all been working fine before upgrading my R version from 3.4.4 to 3.6.1. I made the corresponding change to the R home directory in my PBI Desktop (the pbix file wouldn't refresh without it) and then reuploaded the reports. Since then, refreshing their datasets with RDS files generated by the 3.6.1 version always causes the credentials problem. 

Reverting back to the older R version (along with changing back the home directory and reuploading the reports) takes away the credentials problem, and things go back to behaving prior.

Is this really a limitation with respect to the R versions one can use?

Refreshing the data on the Desktop works fine, once you change the R home directory. It's the service that seems to have a problem with data generated by the newer version of R.

However, upon checking my personal gateway already had custom data connectors switched off:

Screenshot (54).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-xuding-msft 

Hi, thanks again for the reply and advice. Really appreciate the follow up effort. Perhaps the support ticket might help.

The meantime workaround solution I've gone with was to move down to R 3.5.1. It works just as fine as 3.4.4 has with me, and I'm able to use certain packages 3.4.4 can't.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

it seems the current supported R runtime version is still 3.4.4. So upgrading won't work at this time I'm afraid.
Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-r-packages-support

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi @nickyvv , 

Thank you so much, really appreciate the reply. However, reading through the link, I think that 3.4.4 limitation is for using R to create visuals. None of my visuals are generated by R scripts. Instead, I'm just using R to 'Get Data', i.e. generate data tables or load them into the report from RDS files.

A colleague of mine is able to refresh her reports no problem using R 3.5.1. So, I'm not sure that I'm necessarily stuck with 3.4.4 per se.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ok, that is indeed a correct observation 🙂

To further clarify, are you using:

- Get Data > R script?

- Query Editor > Run R script as a Power Query step?

And is this working in your local Power BI Desktop?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

@nickyvv 

I'm using Get Data > R script on my local Power BI Desktop.

I simply use the R script to load data from an RDS file already generated (via RStudio). 

After upgrading my R version, I had to change the R home directory in order for the report to load data from RDS files generated by the newer R version. This works fine, but refreshing the report after it's uploaded in the PBI service does not (I get the credentials error). 

Hi @josen95 ,

Please clear the global permission and re-connect to the data source. And try to refresh manually in Desktop to check if it works fine. Then republish the report to service. 

2.PNGR.PNG

Moreover, make sure that you install the latest version (3000.10.232) of gateway and the latest version (2.74.5619.841) of Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xuding-msft 

Thank you very much for the reply. Really appreciate your effort.

I did as you said: cleared the global permission then reconnected to the data source. I started a manual refresh on the Desktop, which worked fine (as it has been, ever since changing the R home directory), and republished. However, once again it was attempting to refresh the dataset in the service after republishing the report that failed - same credentials error.

Refreshing in the Desktop works fine as long as R home directory is the updated version as well. Unfortunately, refreshing in the PBI service causes the credentials error.

Hi @josen95 ,

If you are sure that the credentials is right,  I think it's hard for us to provide any more support about this issue on the forum side. I would suggest you open a support ticket to get dedicated support from the Microsoft. 

You could reference the blog to create one. How to create a support ticket in Power BI  

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xuding-msft 

Hi, thanks again for the reply and advice. Really appreciate the follow up effort. Perhaps the support ticket might help.

The meantime workaround solution I've gone with was to move down to R 3.5.1. It works just as fine as 3.4.4 has with me, and I'm able to use certain packages 3.4.4 can't.

Hi @josen95 ,

Maybe the highest version of R that Power BI supported now is 3.5. I'm not sure.

You could mark your answer as a solution. If you create a support ticket later, you could update the solution. More people who experience the same issue will benefit here. 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors