Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

odoro
Frequent Visitor

Invalid Connection Credentials during Dataset refresh

I get an Invalid Connection Credentials error when trying to refresh my dataset.  The gateway setup shows "Connection Successful" and the gateway is online.  However when I run a refresh on the dataset i get this error.  I have looked all over but not found a solution and I have tried several things.

Interestingly this is only happening on my test server which runs SQL Server 2016.  The gateway for the Live SQL Server 2014 refreshes fine.

Any help please

5 REPLIES 5
Chiranjit
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Please check that you provided the correct FQDN name in the data source server name. You might have to provide the FQDN name instead of the server name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @odoro !

I have the same error with a SQL Server Data source.

Any solution?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this will help but I ran into the same problem and after searching for quite a while, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling everything.  In case it helps, here are the steps I did to fix the problem.

Save your .PBIX file somewhere

Uninstall Power BI Desktop and clean registry (removed all related references to Power)

Uninstall Personal Gateway and clean registry (removed all related references to Gateway)

Reboot

Reinstall Desktop and Gateway

Open the .PIBX file from the Desktop and publish it

From the Service, setup a scheduled refresh (Edit Credentials and re-selected the Authorization option in the pull down)

...at this point, my problem went away and the refresh was working again.  It's kind of drastic but, like you, I searched and searched but no clear answer that helped so that's what I ended up doing to fix the problem.

Hi! 

I think that my problem is related to the update...
I open the .pbix file from the Desktop and publish it. Then I refresh the information but in the report refresh only the data, not the calculated columns...
The solution is to publish the report again but I want that the report refresh automatically...Any idea what I should do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Your calculated columns should display when you publish.  At least that's been my experience.  I'm not sure of why they require a refresh.

Aside from that, you can setup a scheduled refresh as long as your data is stored in OneDrive, SharePoint Online, or you have a Personal Gateway setup.  Any of those options will allow you to configure a 'scheduled refresh' (which is setup in the Service, not the Desktop).

Hope that helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors